Over the years, Berlin has given the world some impressive bands. In early days, rock-centric and punk artists took hold of the charts; nowadays, ambient, hip-hop and indie bands have all found their place in Germany and beyond. The city is dripping with an expansive and diverse music culture, and the bands who have popped up over the years reflect the underground and influential scenes in Berlin. Beyond techno, there is plenty of talent to be found in Berlin’s music scene.
I Heart Sharks
I Heart Sharks are a German-British indietronica band based in Berlin, combining guitar-elements of British indie influences with more typical Berlin electronic influences. Considered on the leading indie bands from the city, the combine their heritage to create a fresh and interesting sound and visual video clips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gurr is Berlin’s beloved by hipsters, all-girl band that is making waves across the city and abroad. The duo Andreya Casablanca and Laura Lee Jenkins formed their band after meeting in their American studies class in Berlin. They then spent some time in the US to soak up West Coast culture, coining the term for their own genre, First Wave Gurrlcore. Their debut album, In My Head was recorded in the city at Funkhaus, which was once an East German radio studio.
Mia is one of Germany’s brightest new-age/pop/rock/indie band from Berlin. Formed in 1997, the group has found considerable success on their home turf and across the globe. With an edgy sound and grounded roots in the city, Mia is an energetic band from Germany’s capital.
Slow Steve is the Berlin-based, smooth sounding synth-pop band that is charming its horde of followers. With a mellow, indie pop tone and analogue synth, Slow Steve is the ever-so-cool group who are signed to influential Berlin indie label Morr Music.
Jahcoozi is a multicultural Berlin-based trio, offering up a fresh sound that shies away from the mainstream. Fronted by London-born Sasha Perera and backed by producers/multi-instrumentalists, Teuton Robot Koch and Oren Gerlitz, together they put on energetic performances and electric nights at some of the city’s wildest clubs and bars. Their pop-electro sound and body-shaking songs are impossible not to dance to or love.
Seeed is a beloved eleven-person Berlin band. Known for their catchy contemporary fusion of German hip-hop, reggae and dancehall styles, this large band formed in 1998 and has found huge success in Germany and the surrounding countries. With a funky, unique sound, they’re a well-established Berlin band that’s worth checking out.
Beatsteaks have been around since the mid-’90s, blasting alternative German rock from Berlin. Playing alongside German punk legends Die Ärzte and Die Toten Hosen brought the band a wider audience. They’re still rocking on today, touring and putting on huge shows for adoring and wild fans.
Jennifer Rostock is fronted by German-born singer and TV-host Jennifer Weist. Drawing on elements of hard rock, urban electronics and new-metal, the band produces a rocking, heavy and grunge sound with a female-driven point of view.
Super700 are a less well-known but amazing rock band from Berlin. Formed in 2003 by Ramadani and Michael Have, they have toured across Europe, and in Canada, Asia and America, bringing their English-sung rock hits across the globe. Their sound is a fresh take on classic rock, with cool female vocals.
Evvol is a darkwave electronic duo, comprised of Irish singer Julie Chance and Australian instrumentalist Jane Arnison. Currently based in Kreuzberg, they have stunned at their live shows and festivals appearances around the city. The band creates a unique sound under their prominent theme of the human condition.
Rammstein is Berlin’s most iconic and influential German rock band. Forming in 1994, they helped found a subgenre of German hard rock and metal that became known as Neue Deutsche Härte. Their influential style and German-centric songs are an insight into Berlin’s early rock scene and the evolving styles that came out of the city.
Wir Sind Helden
Wir Sind Helden, meaning We are Heroes in English, are a German pop-rock band established in Hamburg and based in Berlin. Their pop-rock sound has tones of the New German Wave style, deriving from punk roots but bringing a fresh, new sound. Popular in Berlin and around Germany, Wir Sind Helden shows the country’s love for new rock and thumping songs.
Invoking Berlin’s post-Wall moodiness, Diät has a touch new wave sound and an edgy attitude. Likened to other delightfully bleak bands like Joy Division, this Berlin group brings similar dark tones to their sound, encapsulating an early ’80s vibe.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.