If you’re looking for vintage and fair-trade stores, regional and seasonal food, great coffee and craft beers, as well as quirky locations for creative, independent thinkers, Hamburg is the perfect destination. Read on for our hipster’s guide to hamburg.
Flohschanze flea market
Start your Saturday morning early by visiting the famous Flohschanze flea market by the old slaughterhouse. Here a mix of private and professional vendors sell an eclectic mix of items that will delight any second-hand shopper’s heart. Be it old books and rare records, unique jewellery items, vintage clothing and shoes, or retro bicycles and antique furniture, search and you will find. If you don’t want to miss the real treasures, come early – the flea market opens at 8 am.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Breakfast at Marktzeit
Once you’ve purchased the vintage bargain of your dreams, head across the street to the Rindermarkthalle for a hip morning meal at Marktzeit – Hamburg’s favourite neighbourhood market. Create your ideal breakfast selection with delicacies from the lively market stands. There’s fresh regional produce, hearty cheeses, deli meats, mouthwatering baked goods, alongside some international foods. All accompanied by live music and, of course, great coffee specialities.
In the winter months, between the 1st October and 30th April, the market takes place at the Fabrik in Altona.
Visit the FC St. Pauli
If there was ever a football club to capture a hipster’s heart, it’s the FC St. Pauli. Despite frequent ups and downs in its performance, the club’s trusted followers always fill the stands at the famous Millerntor Stadium. The fans are politically left-leaning and socially active, taking a stand against racism, fascism, sexism, and homophobia. St. Pauli’s unofficial emblem of skull and crossbones is an icon of the St. Pauli party and red-light district. The club has also become a worldwide symbol for punk and related subcultures, its symbols frequently worn by international artists.
If football is not your thing, consider spending the afternoon by taking an alternative Hamburg tour and learning more about street art, squatted buildings, local legends, community projects, and more. There’s even a special craft beer tasting tour.
Light lunch at less political
Tucked away on a quiet side street in the alternative Sternschanze district, is the specialist coffee shop less political, also known as Hermetic Coffee Roasters. This cafe is a haven for true coffee lovers, with every which way of brewing the perfect cup of coffee, from porcelain filters to cold-drip, and everything in between. You’ll also be spoiled for choice with regard to freshly ground coffee beans from selected roasters, as well as specialities like almond coffee. The cafe offers appetising sandwiches and divine cakes to go with the ideal cup of java.
Dinner at the Schanzenhöfe Brewery District
For a great evening meal head to the nearby Schanzenhöfe, also located in the hip Sternschanze district. Sample excellent locally brewed craft beer (or 60 others from around the world), baked goods straight from a wood-fired oven, and daily menus of regional organic food at the brewhouse and restaurant Altes Mädchen.
Relax at the Pony Bar
In the student district of Hamburg, you’ll find the quirky Pony Bar. A cafe by day, at nightfall this place transforms into a venue for diverse cultural events. Mondays are for singers and songwriters, Tuesdays for open microphone Hip Hop sessions, while Wednesdays belong to young jazz musicians. The bar also hosts DJ-performances, table foosball tournaments, and regular exhibitions by young artists.
Next door to the Pony Bar is the Abaton Cinema, known for its hand-picked programme of the best international films. Stop by there as well!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.