Standing as a symbol of oppression, the Berlin Wall divided Germany for almost three decades. During this time, political tensions, great escapes and groundbreaking moments shaped the era. Discover the more about the Iron Curtain and the Cold War with these best documentaries about the Berlin Wall.
Busting the Berlin Wall
Busting the Berlin Wall explores the daring escape stories over the Wall that divided a nation. With amazing CGI dramatizations and an in-depth look into the unusual, terrifying and defying escapes over the Berlin Wall, this documentary looks at the daredevils who made it and delves into the truly amazing escape stories of this time.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rise and Fall of the Berlin Wall
Produced by the History Channel, Rise and Fall of the Berlin Wall explores the complete history of how the wall came to be and its eventual downfall. With a huge panel of experts and tons of original footage, it’s an encompassing documentary and window into this unique part of history.
ABC News Classics: The Fall of the Berlin Wall
After nearly 30 years of separation, on November 9, 1989, East and West Berliners finally tore down the wall that forced them apart. ABC News Classics: The Fall of the Berlin Wall shows the remarkable footage from this iconic event, and invites the audience to join Diane Sawyer and Sam Donaldson to revisit the news coverage from this day. Including a live interview with President Reagan, this is a transportative look into one of the most notable days in 20th-century history.
Modern Marvels: The Berlin Wall
The Berlin Wall stood as forbidding structure, and for many, as a symbol of death. Modern Marvels: The Berlin Wall explores the daunting devices within the wall’s Death Strip, one of the deadliest obstacle courses every, and the haunting yet genius ways people ran it. Produced by the History Channel, this documentary has amazing old footage and gives insightful on the oppressive, divisive structure that was the Berlin Wall.
Stasi – East Germany’s Secret Police
East Germany’s Secret Police, known as the Stasi, penetrated East German society and relative to the population, it was largest secret service in the history of mankind. Stasi – East Germany’s Secret Police is an informative and comprehensive look at the controlling state of East Germany and the people who enforced its will. A haunting insight into the GDR, this documentary shows the power and reach of surveillance and oppression during this time.
After the Wall: A World United
The Berlin Wall came crashing down in 1989, bringing with it a reunited and stronger Germany and an end to the Cold War. The world rejoiced and unity reigned. After the Wall: A World United revisits the events surrounding the wall’s historic collapse. This documentary draws on political insights from interviews with George Bush, Mikhail Gorbachev and Helmut Kohl, as well as firsthand accounts from Germans that provide the personal, everyday perspectives of this historic event.
David Hasselhoff vs The Berlin Wall
David Hasselhoff vs The Berlin Wall is a one-hour special commemorating the 25th anniversary of the fall of the wall. In this documentary The Hoff takes viewers on an incredible personal journey, retracing the Wall’s history, interviewing people who lived behind it and exploring the amazing escapes from brave East Germans.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.