Berlin has an amazing culinary scene, encompassing rustic market halls, high-end dining experiences and unusual dinner spots – the city is basically brimming with local foodie talents. What better way to fully immerse yourself in the city’s culinary delights then learn how to cook with the best of them? Here are Berlin’s top cooking courses that can be enjoyed by locals and tourists alike.
Goldhahn und Sampson
Goldhahn und Sampson is a bookshop, cooking school, grocery store and purveyor of fine kitchenware and food. With two locations, one in Prenzlauer Berg and another in Wilmersdorf in west Berlin, the schools offer a huge range of cooking classes in Berlin. Concentrating on genuine, artisan products, Goldhahn und Sampson has cooking classes in German, English and English-friendly, which refers to classes taught in German, with German recipes, but the teacher is fluent in English and happy to explain details to non-German-speaking participants. The courses regularly change, however, and with their huge selection, there is always something to suit every dietary requirement, taste and language. The prices of each cooking class vary, starting at €50 (US$62) and going up from there.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Goldhahn & Sampson, Dunckerstraße 9, 10437 Berlin, Germany, +49 30 41198364
Kochbox is the self-proclaimed culinary rebellion, offering a range of cooking classes in Mitte, Berlin. Close to Alexanderplatz, guests can book between individual cooking classes and those up to 60 people. With classes in English and German, this meat-centric school is great for those people looking to cook the perfect steak. Kochbox offers four-course costing either €79 (US$98) or €145 (US$178).
Kochbox Berlin, Dircksenstraße 95, 10178 Berlin, Germany, +49 30 34044159
Geared towards tourists with culinary passion, Schöne Heimat offers a combined market tour, cooking class and lunch event for its participants. Costing €125 (US$155), the unique experience takes place in Berlin’s Schöneberg neighbourhood, granting an authentic and private look into Berlin culinary lifestyle. A wonderful way to learn about German culture through your palate, the tours are run weekly on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday by local, knowledgeable guide Kit Schulte at the Winterfeldtplatz market, and the cooking classes take place at her home.
Winterfeldtplatz, Goltzstr. 29, 10781 Berlin, Germany
Give Something Back to Berlin Open Kitchen
Give Something Back to Berlin Open Kitchen isn’t a cooking class per se; however, it is a truly unique Berlin cooking experience and cultural exchange. Hosted by the award-winning project platform and network that helps foster community building and intercultural dialogue, the concept of the Open Kitchen is simple: it gives refugees and Berliners a chance to come together to cook, eat, share and hang out. Using food and cooking together as the building blocks to form friendships, exchange culture and break down barriers, anyone who wants to participate can join the Facebook group to find out when the next event is held; while it is geared toward locals, visitors who will be around Berlin for some time are also welcome.
Plant-Based Cooking 101: Edible Art
Plant-Based Cooking 101: Edible Art is a unique, creative and fun-filled cooking class. As the name suggests, it’s vegetarian-friendly, with a focus on making delicious, well-plated food and is taught in English. The intimate and hands-on workshop is for anyone who wants inspiration to wow at their next dinner party, or better appreciate plant-based cuisine. Costing €66 (US$82), the cooking classes can be undertaken individually or with up to six guests.
Veggie Village offers vegetarian and vegan cooking classes that aim to teach guest the technicalities of cooking, as well as the heart behind recipes. The nutrition-based course offers three cooking classes, suitable for groups and individuals and are all taught in English. Costing between €75 (US$93) and €275 (US$341) including groceries, these cooking classes are perfect for the herbivores or those wanting to learn more about vegan and vegetarian lifestyles.
Ratatouille is the Berlin-based French cooking class that will immerse its participants in French cooking and culture. Taught in German, French and English, the cooking workshop runs throughout the week and offers classes for beginners and advanced cooks in their Mitte studio. Prices start at €29 (US$36) and they also have student prices available.
Ratatouille, Ackerstraße 2, 10115 Berlin, Germany, +49 30 240 468 90
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.