Music is the heartbeat of Germany’s capital city – from the hypnotic pulse of the techno beat, the jazzy strains reverberating though smokey clubs, renowned orchestras playing in highbrow concert halls and the street musicians uplifting the city with their song. If music is your mantra, here’s just some of the endless variety of music to sample in Berlin.
Take the Bowie Berlin Walking Tour
Berlin’s modern musical transformation took hold in the late 60s and 70s with the punk and culture movements. While residing in the city, international musicians like Lou Reed and David Bowie brought its colourful and hedonistic sub-cultures to the world stage. Berlin Music Tours offers a well-priced opportunity to scratch beneath the surface of Bowie’s famous Trilogy Period and the music he made when he called Berlin home.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Discover Just Music
Just Music is the most comprehensive musical instrument store in the city, boasting five levels packed with musical equipment. Each level is dedicated to a particular instrument, from keys, to percussion to guitars, this is a music lover’s fantasy. You might not be able to afford the top of the range gear, but you can still dream, and still spend a few good hours trying out the instruments.
Just Music, Oranienstraße 140 -142, Berlin, Germany +49 30 88775500
Support street performers
Mauer Park, Warschauer, East Side Gallery, Oberbaumbrücke, Hackescher Markt – these are just some of the hotspots where you can find Berlin’s street performers pouring their musical hearts out. The busking scene is more alive here than most cities in Europe, and looks set to stay that way. Experience these magical, free live music concerts that transform the streets and don’t forget to drop some coins in their guitar cases to support the scene.
Attention all vinyl lovers: Berlin is a city where the record still spins and it certainly knows how to do record shops – from famous stores such as Hard Wax and Oye Records – specialising in everything from jazz to techno – to Space Hall, discover how pressed wax thrives in Berlin.
Hard Wax, Paul-Lincke-Ufer 44A, Berlin, Germany +49 30 61130111
Oye Records, Oderberger Str. 4, Berlin, Germany +49 30 66647821
Space Hall, Zossener Str. 33, Berlin, Germany +49 30 53088718
Sample the techno nightlife
After the fall of the Wall, the city left behind a host of abandoned buildings and a new form of electronic music culture emerged, where DJs became the stars of the late hours. Techno culture continues to permeate clubs like Berghain, which is known as the techno temple, with an entire subculture that has formed around it with catchphrases like ‘home is where Berghain is.’ Other popular techno clubs include Watergate, About Blank and many more.
If you’re not really a techno-head, never fear – there is something for every kind of lover in Berlin. Here’s a glimpse into the ‘Best Clubs In Berlin For People Who Don’t Like Electronic Music’. Those who love that lush Latin salsa can also try out the ‘Best clubs for Latin Music in Berlin.’
World class music festivals
Berlin hosts big commercial festivals like Lollapalooza and Melt with the biggest bands and DJs among their line-ups. Berlin Atonal is a fantastic industrial futuristic festival that brings together the best avant-garde, ambient and experimental techno, analogue synths and electronic music, while the XJAZZ festival takes over Kreuzberg each May. There are also a plethora of weekend and sometimes week-long music festivals like Fusion which take place in and around the city. Whatever your fancy, Berlin celebrates its love for music and dancing all year round. Here’s more on some of the festivals that take place in and around Berlin.
For classical lovers
Berlin boasts three beautiful Opera houses that form part of the legacy of its divided past. There are various tours, concerts and festivals celebrating all things classical throughout the year. Check out venues like Deutsche Oper and Berlin Festspiele for great intercultural programmes. The world renowned Berliner Philharmoniker also happens to offer small, free lunchtime shows every Tuesday.
Deutsche Oper, Bismarckstraße 35, Berlin, Germany +49 30 34384343
Berliner Festspiele, Schaperstraße 24, Berlin, Germany +49 30 254890
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.