Berlin has, for some time, been known as the European capital of techno, but events like the street battles Rap am Mittwoch and Feuer über Deutschland serve as a reminder that Berlin is also home to a vibrant hip-hop scene. Culture Trip offers our ultimate top 10 of the hip-hop artists coming out of Germany‘s most eclectic city.
Alles Ist Die Sekte
A.i.d.S. is a German duo made up of Sido and B-Tight. It was founded by the two artists in 1998 under the name of Royal TS. Since 2003, they have been publishing under their own names. Back at that time, Sido and B-Tight were living together in Wedding and were performing at the Royal Bunker. One of their CDs, Alles ist die Sekte, was published in a limited edition of five hundred copies. It is an esteemed and valued album but not in everybody’s price range, costing around 250€.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Paul Würdig, known as Sido, is a German rapper linked to the independent label Aggro Berlin. He is part of the group of A.i.d.S. but is also a solo performer. His nickname stands for superintelligentes drogenopfer (super intelligent victim of drugs). He is one of the most famous artists in the scene because of his hard-hitting content regarding the darker side of Germany. He sings about the critics of the new generation, drugs, petty criminality, and life in the neighborhoods. He was infamous for wearing a skull from 2001-2008 and is criticized because of his use of explicit language, of exalting money, and of the graphic content of his videos.
Muhamed Ayad, known as Tony D (for Damager), is a Berliner-Kreuzberg rapper of Lebanese descent. He was interested in rap from an early age, declaring that his interest started when he was ten years old. His style is similar to the Lil’ Jon’s. When not performing as a solo artist, he forms part of the collective Aggro Berlin.
K.I.Z. is a well known hip-hop group from Berlin, linked to the Universal label. The members are Tarek, Maxim, and Nico. Their lyrics are infamous for their sarcasm, irony, and tendency to cover a vast range of topics such as politics, the arts, and societal ills. They are also a symbol of Berlin because they like to draw in crowds for their concerts, often instigating impromptu performances. They have performed a concert in the underground and given one for free on the river Spree by the remains of the Wall.
Officially registered as Anis Mohamed Youssef Ferchichi, he is better known as Bushido, a Japanese word that means ‘way of the warrior’. As of 2009, he has sold more than 1.5 million albums in Germany alone. Bushido is often in the media not just for his music but for the controversies he causes. He has often been accused of being extremely right-wing, misogynist, and homophobic. He answered some of those accusations with ‘Wilkommen Provokationensmöglichkeit’, a welcome opportunity to provoke. Bushido is also the manager of the label Ersguterjunge.
Patrick Losensky is his real name, but for the hip-hop lovers he is famous as Fler. He has collaborated with Carlo, Cokxxx, Nutten and Bushido. Fler has been active since 2004, and since then he has put out five albums. Participating in Berlin life, he also opened his own shop, Psalm 23, in Berlin-Wilmersdorf; the shop closed in 2011, however, announcing that it would continue to sell online. Since 2013, he has also established his own line of clothing with his fashion brand ‘Maskulin’.
Culcha Candela is a rap group that was created in Berlin in 2001. Their lyrics cover a range of topics, from the political to the light-hearted. The members come from various countries, so that their songs can be in English, German, Spanish, or Patois. Their multiculturalism is evident in their music videos, but also in their official website, which is officially in German but also presents a Spanish and English version.
King Orgasmus One
Manuel Romeike, known as King Orgasmus One, is a Berlin rapper and owner of his own music label. He is more known for his provocative and insulting lyrics than for his good technique, since he mostly sings about drugs, parties, sex, and power in his songs. He has defined himself as the ‘hardest rapper’ in Germany. He garnered media attention when he published The Orgy On Tour that was supposed to film his musical tour but contained considerable graphic content.
Peter Balgorry, better known as Peter Fox, is a rapper and reggae singer from Berlin, and also member of the reggae band Seeed. He received the award for the Best Album of 2009 with his 1LIVE and two platinum discs for his album Stadtaffe in 2008. The right part of the face has been semi-paralyzed since 2001 because of a medical mistake, but it has become his recognizing characteristic.
Amewu aka Halbgot
Amewu is a hip-hop artist born in Berlin-Charlottenburg. His lyrics and his artistic figure differ from the classic hip-hop genre, often definable as gangsta rap. He likes to speak about deeper topics, putting effort into his rap technique. He pointed out that in his world it seems that the more ‘bad boy’ you act, the more it seems that you gain respect. He personally likes irony but thinks that the good way is in the middle. He also criticized cynicism, another typical feature of the rap world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.