The buzz around Panama City’s historic district of Casco Viejo has only just begun. Having recently undergone a surge of renovation, the UNESCO World Heritage Site is a colourful and lively little pocket within Panama City, bursting with boutique hotels, art galleries and a smashing nightlife. Here is why Casco Viejo is Panama City’s hottest district.
History comes alive in Casco Viejo
Casco Viejo’s narrow cobblestone streets, colourful mansions and historical landmarks reawaken visions of Panama’s historic greatness. A walk in the neighbourhood will reveal a beautiful architectural landscape that brings together Spanish colonial, neoclassical and modern design, alongside ancient cathedrals and churches.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It is empty during the day
While the rest of Panama City is congested with cars and has almost non-existent sidewalks, Casco Viejo is the only neighbourhood that remains quiet and peaceful during the day. This allows for plenty of time and space to discover the little gems that are hidden in the most coveted area of the tropical capital.
It’s where you’ll find the best nightlife in town
Casco Viejo is home to some of the best boutique hotels, restaurants and bars in town. Whether you are looking for an underground rock venue, a salsa bar, a classy rooftop lounge, or for a fine dining experience, Panama City’s historic district has got it all.
Beauty is everywhere in Casco Viejo
Design and beauty are at the core of Casco Viejo. Home to designer hotels and high-end restaurants, Casco Viejo has an artsy feel to it that you won’t find anywhere else in the city. Visit art galleries such as Diablo Rosso if you want to discover the best of Panama’s creative talent.
Authentic barrio of Panama
Casco Viejo used to be a popular working-class barrio(neighbourhood) of Panama City. While most of it has been renovated, some of the original buildings and residents can still be spotted towards the outskirts of the area, chatting to their neighbours in front of rundown homes or playing football in the street. To discover the authentic soul of Casco Viejo, join a tour with Fortaleza and let ex-gang members show you around what used to be areas of conflict.
You can get lost in Casco Viejo
Though the historic district of Panama City is rather small, you can literally get lost in its tiny streets, hopping from one souvenir shop to the other, tasting some of the world’s best coffee, having a delicious brunch or discovering local talent at some of the city’s best art galleries. One unique way of getting to know the neighbourhood is to download the app LiveWalkPTY, an audio guide that allows you to discover Panama City at your own pace while listening to local storytellers.
Unique shopping experience
As the creative hub of the city, Casco Viejo is also the place to go if you are looking for an alternative shopping experience. Forget about household brands and lose yourself in small concept stores such as Viviendo or Franklin Panama, that aim at commercialising handmade and sustainable accessories and fashion items inspired by traditional crafts that will make great souvenirs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.