Panama City’s El Cangrejo neighborhood is a walkable melting pot of artistic delight, coffee culture, a diverse smorgasbord of dining, and plenty of pubs to indulge in libations. Major streets include Via Argentina—Panama City’s restaurant row—and Via Veneto—home of the famous Veneto Hotel and Casino. Here are the neighborhood’s other essential things to see and do.
Begin with breakfast on Via Argentina
Start your day with a bottomless cup of coffee paired with a divine, freshly baked bagel at New York Bagel Café. The convenient location of this praised staple among locals, visitors, and expats alike, puts you right where you need to be for a day spent exploring the eclectic hub of El Cangrejo in Panama City. While there, pop into Pronoia, the quaint, local art shop inside, just to the left of the order counter.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Say hello to Albert Einstein
Pose for a picture next to Albert Einstein’s enormous sculpted head, which is in front of the entrance to New York Bagel Café, just across the street. Be sure to wait until traffic clears to make your way across. Pedestrians don’t exactly have the right of way in Panama, so it’s best that you proceed with caution.
Take a stroll through Parque Andres Bello
A delightful gem of peaceful greenery in the heart of El Cangrejo is the much-adored park, Parque Andres Bello. Always abuzz with children on the playground, exercise groups getting their Zumba on, and casual basketball games underway on the court, passersby are sure to get a glimpse of the lively local community here. Also featured are an adult playground full of workout equipment, an enclosed area with safe playground fun for smaller children, and a leash-free, gated dog zone for Fido to get his fetch on.
Bring lunchtime appetites here
El Mundo del Pan (world of bread) offers an incredible lunch special every day for an unbelievable low price. Along with the daily special, this neighborhood staple also offers a full list of sandwiches. Continue the coffee buzz here with a fresh cup for one dollar. Many delectable pastries are on offer for less than a dollar, too. In fact, here it is possible to grab lunch for two and satisfy a sweet tooth for less than 10 dollars easily.
Happy hour awaits
It’s five o’clock somewhere, and at La Rana Dorada, no one is judging with a generous Happy Hour from noon to 6 p.m. offering half off all craft beers. This is a must-visit for the craft beer lover, as La Rana Dorada is one of Panama’s oldest craft brewers. The brewery warehouse, Cerveceria La Rana Dorada, boasts an extended happy hour from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday, and 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday.
People-watch over this balcony
Take a break to pause and reflect at Eleven with a spot on the balcony, overlooking the passersby on the foot traffic-heavy street of Via Argentina. While there, enjoy a cocktail, bucket of local Panamanian beer, or shareable appetizer, all of which are sure to satisfy for a quick breather before continuing to explore El Cangrejo.
Visit Panama City’s only speakeasy
Located on Via Veneto in El Cangrejo, this exclusive, intimate nightlife zone requires a password to enter from inside the taco joint, Mordida del Burro. While there, feast on delectable tacos wherever is most comfortable—the same menu is available in the restaurant and the speakeasy.
Get a great view of the setting sun from The Roof
This rooftop bar in El Cangrejo is just off the ever-popular Via Argentina, and if timed right, it is the perfect place to catch a view of the cityscape under the setting sun. Panama City offers a majestic sunset, and The Roof offers a most unobstructed view. The Roof is located at the top of the Best Western Plus Panama Zen Hotel.
Listen to live music or participate in karaoke
If music is a must on the itinerary, Live Karaoke on Via Argentina is a go-to karaoke bar. Live music can also be found at the local pub, Pavo Real, which offers a taste of where locals hang out. For the more artistic crowd, Armonica is part-art house, part-brew house, plus hamburgers.
Grab a midnight snack at Del Prado
This 24-hour diner has a menu so diverse, it’s possible to visit several times without ever having the same thing twice. Del Prado’s specialty list includes a selection of fresh and frothy fruit juices. Still hungry? El Cangrejo is a hub of restaurants galore for every taste bud imaginable. A few you’ll find on most lists include El Trapiche for authentic Panamanian cuisine, Angel for a more intimate, fine dining experience, El Caribe for a Caribbean twist on traditional Panamanian fare, and Churreria Manolo for any meal of the day, a generous pour for the wine lovers, and the most divine churros. Cap off with a delicious coffee and dessert at the local café and artisan bakery of choice, Mentiritas Blancas.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.