Casco Viejo is a thriving hotspot – perhaps the most popular place to reside in Panama City. Full of gorgeous historical architecture and winding roads lined with lovely restaurants and cafés, Casco Viejo is also known for its nightlife in Panama City. Here is a list of the top 10 things to see and do in Casco Viejo.
Panamanian coffee, please
Casco Viejo is home to a favored coffeehouse in Panama City, Casa Sucre. Head over for the divine Panamanian coffee and delectable food on offer. Stay for the lovely ambiance, cozy décor, and large windows for watching the passersby.
Enjoy a divine brunch
Equal parts boutique and luxury, American Trade Hotel is famous for serving a divine brunch. Among Panama City’s most elegant spaces, signature style, design, and history are breathed in the walls and unique infrastructure of this 1917 build. Culture and contemporary art make it a most popular, sophisticated destination for visitors in Panama.
American Trade Hotel, Av. Central, Panama, +507 831 2051
Admire art while getting a buzz
Jerónimo offers an upscale art gallery and bar. This sophisticated dual-purpose watering hole is famous for hosting joint art shows and a late-night social scene simultaneously. Creative folks love Jerónimo. If you are partial to art, or the art-inclined, check this place out. Do dress to impress.
Jerónimo, Panama City, Panama, +507 834 7420
Enjoy some afternoon rum
Pedro Mandinga Rum is another fantastic destination in Casco Viejo. What they do best is in their name – rum – though they have a full bar, list of signature cocktails, inviting happy hour, and everything they make is exceptionally tasty. The friendly staff make it even easier to sit back, relax, and enjoy your elixir as you watch the rain fall from the large, open windows.
Have a pizza break
Barrio Pizza is a multi-cuisine pizzeria in Casco Viejo, with another location in Costa Del Este. Perfect for families, kids, groups, and walk-ins, as well as takeout and delivery, Barrio Pizza has a delectable assortment of pizzas on offer, along with the option to build your own.
Wander the wonderful, ancient architecture
Casco Viejo is free to wander the winding, narrow roads of historical architecture. With walls that whisper stories of what Panama once was and still, in some ways, remains, Casco Viejo offers a wonderful chance to dance through the magic of the streets in awe of this beautiful part of Panama City.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dine and dance the night away
With three restaurants, a nightclub, and a gorgeous rooftop overlooking the historic district, Casa Casco is a favorite among locals and travelers. It’s an especially great spot to watch the sun go down if you get there early enough.
Casa Casco, Calle 10 Este, Panama, +507 6288 9024
Live jazz awaits
Danilo Perez Jazz Bar is located inside the elegant American Trade Hotel, this live jazz bar offers a unique experience for music lovers who enjoy sipping signature cocktails while listening to fantastic rhythms and harmonies.
Danilo Perez Jazz Bar, Panama City, Panama, +507 211 2000
Partake in rooftop shenanigans
At the top of an artsy boutique hotel and popular restaurant is a favorite rooftop lounge that draws crowds of locals and travelers. Tantalo was the first rooftop bar in Casco Viejo, and it is known for playing great music and offering up delicious cocktails, featuring a generous happy hour. Grab a bite to eat in the hotel restaurant and have a look at the rotating art installments.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.