Gamboa Rainforest is the perfect jungle getaway from Panama City. A short 30-minute drive from the center of the capital, the park offers a complete experience that includes visiting an indigenous tribe, going on a night safari, spotting wildlife on the riverbanks and enjoying the comfort of a great resort. Make the most of your visit with our ultimate guide to Gamboa Rainforest.
Chagres River Boat Tour
The Chagres River Boat Tour is the quickest and easiest way to get to know Gamboa and the natural wonders that the park has to offer. Sailing through the canal and along the riverbanks of the Chagres River you will get a feeling for Panama’s exotic vegetation and its diverse wildlife.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fishing in the Panama Canal is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Located at the crossroads between the Chagres River and the Gatun Lake, the Gamboa Tarpon Club organizes tours for visitors to enjoy the abundance of fish inhabiting the waters of Panama.
Kayak on the Chagres River
Kayaking on the Chagres River is a millennial activity that traces back to pre-Colombine times. First with canoes and later with small boats, the river and the canal have always been explored and inhabited. Take a kayak tour on the Chagres River or on the Panama Canal to enjoy the closest possible contact with nature.
Guided birdwatching tour
Panama is one of the hottest locations for birdwatching in the world. With over 1,000 species inhabiting its territory, the country is home to 10% of all existing bird species. Some of the best birdwatching can either be done when taking one of the boat tours, as well as on the Gamboa Resort grounds and along the Pipeline Road.
The Aerial Tram is a 600 meter-long tram that rises above the rainforest offering a unique perspective over Gamboa’s fauna and wildlife. During the tour, visitors are likely to spot a multitude of animals including sloths and a wide array of exotic bird species. At the end of the tram is a watchtower overlooking the Soberanía National Park and the intersection of the Chagres River with the Panama Canal.
Visit the nature labs
Gamboa is home to some natural labs including a butterfly farm, an orchids center and a frog pond. The tour of the labs is ideal if you’re a biology enthusiast keen to get to know the lifecycle of some of the most exciting flora and fauna of Panama.
Boat ride on the Gatun Lake
The Gatun Lake is the second-largest artificial lake in the world. A boat tour along the Chagres River and among the little islands will give an insight into the fascinating ecology and history of the place. With a little luck you will also be able to spot several species of monkeys and birds, as well as crocodiles along the riverbanks.
Visit an Embera Tribe
The Emberá and Wunaan are indigenous groups native to Panama that live along the banks of the Chagres River. Get to know their culture, lifestyle and traditions by taking a tour to one of their villages. You can also choose to stay overnight for the ultimate experience.
If you are an adventurous traveler, try the Night Safari offered by the Gamboa Rainforest Resort. Armed with torches and flashlights, the expedition leaves the river shores by boat and explores the surrounding region under moonlight. If you’re lucky, you may spot the eyes of a crocodile shining in the distance.
Sunday brunch with mimosas
Finally, treat yourself to a sumptuous Sunday brunch at Gamboa Rainforest Resort. The brunch features both breakfast dishes as well as sushi, pasta and salads, plus lots of champagne and mimosas to end the Gamboa adventure in style.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.