With fewer than one million inhabitants, Panama City may seem like a rather tiny capital, yet its cultural diversity also makes it an incredibly vibrant one. From historic districts to the latest hotspots, here are the 10 coolest neighbourhoods in Panama City that showcase the different realities coexisting side by side.
Also known as Casco Antiguo or San Felipe, Casco Viejo is the historic district of Panama City and the most popular tourist destination in town. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the neighbourhood was first built following the destruction of Panama Viejo, the first city built in Panama under Spanish rule. Recently restored, the area is a beautiful example of colonial architecture embellished by vibrant street art, and hosts some of the best boutique hotels, local cafés, artisanal markets, art galleries and nightclubs in town. An absolute must-see.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Costa del Este
Costa del Este is a modern, upscale neighbourhood of Panama City. With an LA flair to it, it is made up of wide streets with palm trees, glass skyscrapers and exclusive restaurants. Quieter and more orderly than the rest of the city, it’s where the highest concentration of luxury cars can be found. As the home to some of the big corporations, Costa del Este is a favourite of expats and executives who live and send their schools in the area, creating a bubble that almost feels like a separate city.
Punta Pacifica is a very central neighbourhood of Panama City. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, it is home to some of the best residential buildings in town. Nearing the luxurious Multiplaza Mall and the private Punta Pacifica Hospital, it is a vibrant area where people both live and work and one of the most sought-after locations for real estate investment.
El Cangrejo is a central neighbourhood of Panama City, which has historically been a residential area for middle-class Panamanians. With fewer skyscrapers and more one- and two-storey houses, it is one of the few places where you can actually walk in Panama City. With cafés, offices, pharmacies, schools and childrens’ playgrounds, it has a character of its own. The central street of El Cangrejo is Via Argentina, and besides hosting some very popular restaurants like El Trapiche, it also displays a statue of Panama’s boxing idol Roberto Durán and a sculpture of Einstein’s head.
Amador is one of Panama’s more unusual neighbourhoods – made up of the Amador Causeway and of three spectacular islands, it is a getaway from the city, within the city. You will be amazed as you cross the causeway, a thin strip of land that cuts into the ocean offering spectacular views of both the city skyline and of the canal. Recently renovated, the causeway is the number one leisure destination in the city, but also a very exclusive residential location due to the very limited housing options.
A former US military base, Clayton looks more like a US suburb than the rest of Panama City. By far the greenest area of the capital, it is also home to some of the most exclusive villas and best private schools in town. A stone-throw’s away from the City of Knowledge, a campus and business center scattered around a park in ex-US military buildings, Clayton is mainly inhabited by expats and people who work for the tech companies and NGOs at the City of Knowledge. Clayton is the closest you can get to a jungle experience whilst living in Panama City.
Avenida Balboa is the oceanfront avenue that stretches along the Panama Bay. One of the most exclusive addresses in town, it is highly appreciated for the spectacular views that it offers as well as for its convenient location. Avenida Balboa is the street that connects the two ends of the city and presents a beautiful promenade that allows for an easy escape if you wish to walk all the way to Casco Viejo. It is also convenient for its proximity to the restaurant and clubbing area of Calle Uruguay and to the Multiplaza Mall.
Panama Pacifico is a green and family-friendly neighbourhood located on the other side of the Bridge of the Americas. Cut away from the rest of the city, it feels like a self-sustainable area with beautiful residential developments, international schools, banks, shops and the headquarters of some multinational companies. The Panama Pacifico International Airport is also conveniently located nearby, and operates flights to neighbouring Central and South American countries.
El Dorado is a very popular area with all sorts of amenities, including shopping malls, banks, offices, supermarkets and residential buildings. Close to some of the reverted areas, there is a dense Chinese community, lots of car workshops and small businesses bursting all over the place. El Dorado’s lively atmosphere is kept alive by the middle and working class.
Coco del Mar
Coco del Mar is a suburban and exclusive residential area located between Punta Pacifica and Costa del Este. Located close to Panama Viejo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the historical landmarks of Panama City, it is only a few minutes away from downtown Panama and yet feels quieter, with a nice mixture of single home family properties and apartment buildings,
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.