Colombia is the second most biodiverse country in the world after Brazil and a nature lover’s paradise travel destination with its many natural sights to see. These are the can’t-miss locations every nature lover needs to visit.
Hacienda La Aurora
The La Aurora ranch in the eastern plains of Colombia’s Casanare department might just be the best destination in Colombia for nature lovers: the vast property has seen zero hunting for almost 50 years and protects large populations of capybara (around 50,000 of them!), deer, caimans and birds (including the tiny little burrowing owl), as well as jaguars, anacondas and giant anteaters. Visitors can head out on open-top jeeps or horses on a ‘Colombian safari’ to get remarkably close to the amazing wildlife.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Damas Del Nare Lake
This little lake in the jungle region of Guaviare is probably the best place in Colombia to see Pink River dolphins; the local population is very relaxed around humans and the dolphins swim right up to the tourist boats, even playing with people’s feet when they jump in for a swim. The surrounding forests are also home to four different species of monkeys and rare birds, though it’s really the Damas del Nare’s dolphins who are the star attraction.
El Cantil Ecolodge
The Colombian Pacific coast region is one of the most biodiverse in the country and home to some amazing ecotourism destinations. The best of the lot is El Cantil Ecolodge, located on the stunning Guachalito Beach and 40 minutes south of Nuquí via motorboat. The lodge is immersed in the jungle, making it possible to see beautiful birds, frogs and monkeys while simply walking to breakfast. Whale season is between June and October and turtles visiting the nearby beaches come to lay their eggs in September.
This protected sanctuary on the Caribbean coast is home to Colombia’s largest population of American flamingos and the surreal Guajira coastal desert where the park is located is the perfect backdrop for seeing thousands of these bright pink birds. The scrub forest surrounding the lagoon is a popular destination for more hardcore birders who travel to see regional species like the vermilion cardinal and burrowing owl.
Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta
The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta mountain range was named one of the world’s most irreplaceable protected areas by National Geographic in 2013, and is the world’s highest coastal mountain range. The region is especially populated by endemic bird species and birders will be blown away by the avian variety around the village of Minca or at the ProAves El Dorado Reserve.
Río Claro Canyon
This lovely little ecotourism lodge in the Magdalena River valley is a great place for nature lovers who are already visiting Medellín. The jungle has been protected for many years and is home to several monkey species, as well as stunning birds and amphibians. You might even see scorpions that glow under ultraviolet light. The lodge rooms are open and perched above the jungle’s canopy, allowing you to wake up to the sight of monkeys and toucans feeding just outside your room.
Tayrona National Park
Tayrona is probably Colombia’s most famous and popular national park, with most people visiting for its stunning beaches. It is also an amazing place for accessible wildlife watching and has easy-to-spot howler and capuchin monkeys, cotton-top tamarins, poison dart frogs, caimans, toucans and even jaguars.
Gorgona Island has a dark history and has evolved from being one of Colombia’s worst prisons to becoming a top ecotourism destination in recent years. The waters surrounding this Pacific island are full of sharks, turtles and whales between June and October, while its dense jungles are home to monkeys, snakes and endemic lizards. For people who love experiencing underwater wildlife, Gorgona is one of the best destinations in Colombia.
Malpelo is another Pacific island; unlike the lush jungles of Gorgona, Malpelo is basically just a rocky outcrop in the middle of the ocean 500 kilometres (311 miles) west of the Colombian mainland. For nature lovers who happen to be expert divers, Malpelo is a paradise: its waters are home to tens of thousands of sharks and you can often dive with schools of hammerheads numbering in the hundreds or even thousands. Only expert divers can visit Malpelo, so if that’s you, make sure to check it out.
Río Nambi Natural Reserve
The road leading west toward the Pacific coast and away from Pasto in southern Colombia is home to some truly spectacular natural reserves. However, none is more wonderful than the Río Nambi Natural Reserve, a gorgeous, off-the-beaten-path spot in the Pacific cloud forest that is home to more species of hummingbirds than any other reserve in Colombia. Also found there, among hundreds of other bird species, is the rare long-wattled umbrellabird, poison dart frogs and surreal bioluminescent fungi that glow in the dark.
Puerto Nariño is a small village in the southern Colombian region of the Amazon (just 75 kilometres, or 47 miles, upriver from the regional capital of Leticia) and is a great starting point for exploring Colombia’s Amazonian wildlife. It’s close to the Amacayacu National Park and just downriver from the beautiful Tarapoto Lake where Pink River dolphins are common and you can fish for piranhas. Sloths and monkeys are quite common and there are many beautiful birds to see, including toucans and parrots.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.