As one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, Colombia is home to 51 national parks, varying from coral reefs, deserts, Amazon rainforest, páramos, the Andes mountain ranges and indigenous protected lands. These are among the best to be explored.
Want to join like-minded travellers? Now you can book your place on TRIPS by Culture Trip’s epic adventure from Bogota to Medellin, an exclusive eight-day tour of the Colombian Andes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Serranía de la Macarena
This 6,200sqkm (2,400sqmi) national park is unique to Colombia – this isolated mountain range in the Meta Department is where the unique flora and fauna of the Amazon Rainforest, the East Llanos and the Andes Mountain range meet. The ecosystems of the rainforest, the dry forest and the shrubland savannas all come together at this point.
This combination of ecosystems makes for a biodiverse environment and is home to a large number of endangered and unique species: over 2,000 species of plants, 550 species of birds, 100 reptiles, 1,200 insects, anteaters, jaguars, cougars, deer and eight species of monkey inhabit this unique environment. The most famous part of this National Park is Caño Cristales, or “Liquid Rainbow” – a 100km (62mi) stretch of river that is a beautiful combination of yellow, green, red, blue and black.
Chiribiquete National Park
This national park is located in the isolated Amazon region of Colombia and is Colombia’s largest national park with an area of 27,800sqkm (10,700sqmi). The mountains provide the perfect habitat for a large number of different species – home to a large variety of birds, including the endangered Chiribiquete emerald hummingbird.
The national park is designed to preserve and protect Colombia’s indigenous natives and to study their past: the table mountains are home to over 600,000 traces of early petroglyphs, pictographs and 20,000 whole art pieces.
Old Providence McBean Lagoon
Providencia is one of two Colombian Caribbean Islands located northwest of Colombia’s Caribbean coast. This island is surrounded by the Caribbean coral reef – the third largest reef in the world – with the largest part is located just off the north-eastern shores of the island and covers a maritime area of 9.95sqkm (3.84sqmi). This reef is protected due to its national park status and only small, certified boats are allowed within the area for diving purposes.
Within the park’s boundaries are a collection of four islands: Crab Caye, and the Three Brothers Caye. This park is sometimes referred to as the “sea of seven colors” and the area is home to over 74 species of birds, mangrove forests and a large marine animal population.
Sierra Nevada del Cocuy
This national park is located in the Andes mountain range and encompasses 16 mountains, the highest of which are the following: Cóncavo (5,200m/17,000ft); Ritacuba Blanco (5,410m/17,750ft) which has a glacier that can be tackled by experienced climbers and is accessed via nearby town of El Cocuy; Ritacuba Negro (5,300m/17,400ft) and Sirara (5,200m/17,000ft).
This national park is sacred and protects the indigenous U’wa tribe – it’s a national human and natural heritage site designed to protect culture, history and the environment. The main activities in this area are farming, hunting, fishing and climbing.
Tayrona National Park
This 30sqkm (12sqmi) of maritime area and 150sqkm (58sqkm) of land is home to one of Colombia’s most famous national parks. Located 21mi (34km) from Santa Marta on Colombia’s Caribbean coast, this park is often referred to as having one of the best beaches in the world and is sacred to Colombia’s indigenous tribes. This biodiverse area is located next to the snow-capped mountains of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, which creates a tropical climate with cool breezes from the mountains.
The park is home to 108 species of mammals – including 70 species of bat, 300 birds, 31 reptile species, 110 corals, 401 sea and river fish species and over 770 plant species. This park is unique in the fact it combines natural rainforest and beautiful beaches – with the coastal areas being ideal for swimming and snorkeling.
Chingaza National Natural Park
Chingaza National Park is located 60km (37mi) north-east of Bogotá and envelops the towns of La Calera, Guasca, Fómeque and San Juanito. It is one of Colombia’s biggest natural reserves and páramos, covering 76,600ha (189,000ac). Páramo ecosystems are usually found on mountains above the tree line and the main purpose of this ecosystem is to bring water from the sky to the earth.
This national park serves the purpose of protecting and conserving the páramo ecosystem which in return provides up to 80 percent of Bogotá’s drinking water. This national park and ecosystem is home to over 2,000 species of endangered and native plants, such as frailejon and moss: these plants can be hundreds of years old with a growing rate of one centimeter – less than half an inch – each year. Chingaza has over 40 lakes and streams running through it, as well as glacial lakes located in the municipality of Guasca. People visit the park to discover this unique ecosystem, explore the mainly untouched lands and enjoy the nature and fresh air.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.