Minca is a peaceful little village in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta mountains, just half an hour from Santa Marta, that has become hugely popular with travellers in recent years. With a cooler climate, refreshing mountain streams and waterfalls, amazing biodiversity, coffee and cacao farms and some lovely hostels, it’s a dream backpacker town. Here are 10 things to see and do on your trip to Minca.
Coffee Tour at La Victoria
This coffee farm is one of the oldest in Colombia and has been using the same machinery since the 1890s (the name Victoria comes from the British monarch of the same name, as most of the amazing old machinery was made during her reign). The tour deals more with the processing of coffee than the harvesting procedure, but the location is lovely, the on-site restaurant is top-notch and the coffee is delicious.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit a Cacao Farm
Along with great coffee, some of the best quality cacao in Colombia, nay the world, is produced in the Sierra Nevada, and you can easily arrange tours of cacao farms in Minca. El Paraiso de Tuki B&B Cafe y Cacao Farm in the hills outside Minca is one of the most popular places to discover the world of Colombian cacao; you can do both cacao and coffee tours, and stay overnight in a lovely little B&B.
Swim at Marinka Waterfall
Even though Minca is cooler than the nearby Caribbean coast, it still gets nice and hot here, and there are several great local swimming spots where you can cool off. One of these is the impressive Marinka waterfall: a short hike through the forest from Minca gets you there, and for a small admission fee, you can cool off in the pool at the foot of the falls.
Cool off at Pozo Azul
Another lovely spot for swimming in the cool rivers of the Sierra Nevada is the Pozo Azul swimming hole, a really popular river pool just outside Minca that attracts many tourists on a hot day. Although it can get busy, Pozo Azul is worth visiting for the pretty scenery and perfect natural swimming pool.
Hike to Los Pinos
This long hike up into the mountains from Minca is definitely one for fitter travellers, but if you can muster the energy you’ll definitely be rewarded. Los Pinos is a viewpoint about a three-hour hike from Minca, offering superb panoramas over the distant Caribbean Sea and the green mountains of the Sierra.
Go Birding with Jungle Joe
The Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta is one of the most important natural ecosystems on the planet for biodiversity and endemic species, and you can see beautiful birds without even leaving the environs of Minca itself. Local bird expert Jungle Joe is the perfect guide for beginner birders or casual enthusiasts, and his early morning birding tour around Minca will teach you the basics of birding for just 25,000 COP (US$8.20) for three hours. Visitors can spot toucans, woodpeckers, owls, and parrots, and Joe is a patient, friendly guide.
Discover the Real El Dorado
Hardcore birders will want to skip the introductory tours around Minca and head up into the high mountains to the El Dorado birding lodge and reserve. This beautiful reserve is arguably the best birding destination in Colombia, and visitors can see up to 20 endemic species in just a few days there. Throw in amazing views of the Caribbean and snowcapped peaks of the Sierra, and El Dorado is heaven for nature enthusiasts.
Enjoy the Sunsets
The sunsets over the Caribbean Sea from the high vantage point of Minca are something special to behold: the best place to enjoy them closer to town is from the terrace of Casa Loma Hostel (also a great place to stay), or from Casa Elemento further up the mountain. Wherever you choose to enjoy the sunset, you can’t fail to be blown away by it.
Sample Some Local Craft Beer
Craft beer is growing in popularity in Colombia, and in Minca they produce one of the tastiest of the lot. The Nevada Cerveceria – also located on the same site as La Victoria Coffee Farm – produces two excellent local beers utilising spring water from the surrounding mountains. Happy Jaguar is a Pilsener beer and Happy Toucan an Irish Red Ale, and both are tasty and refreshing. You should absolutely make sure to sample them on your visit to Minca.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.