As Colombia’s fourth-largest city, located in between the tourist hot spots of Cartagena and Santa Marta, Barranquilla often gets overlooked by visitors. Thought of as an unattractive port town, this gem on the Caribbean coast is actually home to incredible people and some beautiful sights. Here’s our guide of the best things to do and see in this charming city.
Museo del Caribe
The best museum in Barranquilla by far, come to El Museo del Caribe for a fascinating insight into the history and culture of Colombia’s Caribbean coast, quite unlike that of any other part of the country. Providing a fun and interactive experience, this museum is split into different levels and rooms, each displaying different elements of the culture. A special area dedicated to writer Gabriel Garcia Marquez contains an exposition of his best work and is a great place to sit down and read one of his short stories or novels.
Opening times: Mon-Thurs 8am-5pm, Fri-Sun 8am-6pm
Address: Cl. 36 #46 – 66, Barranquilla, Atlántico, Colombia, +57 5 3720581
Carnival of Barranquilla
Latin America’s second-biggest carnival after Rio de Janeiro’s, Barranquilla’s carnival is a huge blow-out event celebrated four days before Ash Wednesday, although in reality the excitement and preparation begin many months before. During the carnival, the whole city explodes into a riot of color, social barriers relax and the rich and poor, the old and young come together and have one enormous party.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Troja is the ultimate Barranquillero experience. Described perfectly as ‘an attack on the senses’, the place is loud, bright and crowded, and it provides an incredible amount of fun. Playing purely salsa, if you’re looking for an authentic barranquillero night out, this is the place to come. The crowd is mixed, meaning you’re just as likely to find a group of young ex-pats here as a solitary salsa-dancing senior. It’s an ‘anything goes’ type of place, which sums up the relaxed and friendly vibe of the city perfectly.
Opening hours: Thurs 3pm-3am, Fri-Sat 1:00pm-4am
Castillo de Salgar
Located outside of the city, next to the sea in Salgar, the Castillo de Salgar is a beautifully restored old castle. It serves as a private events function space but it’s also home to a fantastic restaurant, serving up a mix of cuisines. Escape the city and head to the castle to soak up its beauty at sunset, when its yellow walls reflect the setting sun. A perfect spot to come and avoid the urban crowds, eat a slap-up meal and enjoy some breathtaking views.
Address: Salgar, Atlántico, Colombia
While many people think of Barranquilla as a busy city, they often ignore the fact that it’s actually right next to the sea. At the Hotel Pradomar you can soak up some of Barranquilla’s constant sunshine while relaxing on a sun lounger, dipping your toes in the sea and sipping on a perfectly mixed coconut cocktail. At night there are fantastic parties held at the hotel’s club, Kilimangaro.
Address: Calle 2, Puerto Colombia, Atlántico, Colombia, +57 5 3096011
Barranquilla is home to some of the best surf breaks in Colombia. Head to the coast and get your board out – great waves and warm waters make Barranquilla an ideal location to get your surf on. Colombia Surf Spot is the place to catch all the latest information about surfing in and around Barranquilla. If you’re looking for surf lessons, the Hotel Pradomar have some brilliant teachers.
To get a real feel for Barranquilla there’s no better way than heading down to the Paseo Bolivar in the center of the city. Chaotic, busy and filled with people, this what Barranquilla is all about. Be careful with your belongings and don’t hang around after dark, but don’t be afraid to check out the market and various affordable goods on offer. The Paseo Bolivar is also a great place to try a tasty arepa con queso or drink coconut water straight out the shell – you can’t get more Barranquillero than this.
Find second-hand bargains at Oscar de la 30
Very much an undiscovered gem in the city, past the busy Paseo Bolivar in the centre of Barranquilla lies carrera 30, home to the fantastic second-hand shop Oscar de la 30. The place sits in a whole street of shops offering up second-hand clothing at absolutely bargainous prices. Hunt for long enough and you’ll find brands such as MaxMara, Calvin Klein and DKNY among the towering mountains of clothes. It may take a day’s work, but it’s worth the effort if you’re a fashion fan.
Opening hours: Mon-Sun 6:30am-6:30pm
Sample local food at NarcoBollo
If you can only visit one place to try typical costeño cuisine, NarcoBollo is the place to go. Home of the finest fritos in the city, come to NarcoBollo to taste the best arepas, empanadas and deditos around. Lunches with meat, rice, beans and plantain are also served, as well as a selection of brilliant soups – some claim that they serve the finest ajiaco soup in the city.
Opening hours: daily 7:00am – 9pm
Address: Carrera 43 #8-4, Atlántico, Colombia
Visit where the river meets the sea at Bocas de Cenizas
Traveling out from the small neighborhood of Las Flores, you can catch a rickety old train to witness the special point where the river meets the sea. Passing small huts and gatherings of people along the way, you will eventually reach huge rocks, which afford the best view if you’re brave enough to climb them. A total oasis of calm, the place is well worth the trip. Arrive at Las Flores for lunch beforehand and you’ll be able to sample some of the finest fish on the coast, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.