Looking for a romantic getaway in Maine, USA? Then search no further – these are the coziest inns and finest foodie havens for you and your partner. From oceanfront resorts to secret wilderness retreats, lakeside B&Bs and slick downtown boltholes – these Maine hotels were made for two. Take your pick from this curated list of the state’s most romantic properties, all bookable with Culture Trip, which promise plenty of seclusion, a strict attention to detail and the best in food and wine.
A few miles south of Portland sits this sprawling, 61-room getaway on Cape Elizabeth’s sandy Crescent Beach. Seduction-seekers should hide away in the inn’s beach suites, which boast water views, outdoor patios, spacious living spaces, kitted-out kitchens, soaking tubs and king-size beds. If you can tear yourself away from that, a private boardwalk leads through a wildlife sanctuary from the inn to a mile of unspoilt, sun-toasted sands. True to its name, the Inn by the Sea delivers the seafaring warmth of southern Maine.
Cozying up with a loved one on the Chebeague Island Inn’s Adirondack chair-lined porch, ogling views of Casco Bay, feels like vacationing in a painting that chronicles New England’s celebrated nautical landscape. Assembled on a hilltop overlooking the bay in 1880, history and romance have been whispering sweet nothings here for over a century. Each of the 21 guest rooms feature custom Maine art and furnishings, Italian linens and absolutely no TVs or phones – the perfect formula for retiring to your luxurious room for the night.
The romance of a bygone era oozes from the original 1880s Maine cottage architecture at the Breakwater Inn & Spa, one of America’s most storied hotels. The luxury waterfront hotel is steeped in nautical elegance, coastal comforts and the allure of a storied destination: in coastal Kennebunkport – summer stomping grounds of the Bush family. Swoon-worthy amenities like spa-style robes, plush bedding and private river-view porches are all that’s needed to settle in for a long-haul weekend of pampering on a presidential scale.
Dine on Osetra caviar and butter-poached lobster with a side serving of ocean views in the on-site restaurant at Cape Arundel Inn. This grande dame of Southern Maine prides itself on offering everything you’ve come to expect from a much bigger hotel, but with the personal service and attention to detail that only a boutique operation can ace. Order cocktails from your poolside lounge chair come summer, or cozy up by the stone fireplace in the Clubhouse Lounge with a glass of red come winter.
As one of the port’s oldest inns, the Breakwater has its charms, the relaxing riverside setting being high among them. On-site restaurant Stripers is something of a local haunt – patrons as prominent as the Bush family have been known to frequent this waterside restaurant. And there’s no better place to be come sunset than Stripers’ string-light-strewn deck, a craft cocktail in hand.
This Kennebunkport wilderness retreat has it all – acre upon acre of pristine birch forest begging to be explored, the sandy shores of Goose Rocks Beach just a mile (1.6km) down the road, and two heated outdoor pools for when a swim and an afternoon nap beckon. The modern, impeccably styled cottages are sparsely spread across this sprawling resort, so you can rest assured you’ll have all the privacy you need.
Just minutes from the sandy beach in Ogunquit, this popular hotel boasts more than just arresting Atlantic views and the promise of being lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean. For one, there’s the strength of the property’s in-house dining. From your morning espresso at third-wave café Bald Head Coffee Co., to a picnic lunch of lobster rolls on the lawn of Nubb’s Lobster Shack and perhaps a room service dinner in bed from fine-dining outfit the Tiller, Cliff House has all bases covered.
Nuzzled in right next to the beach on a rocky peninsula, Stage Neck Inn has a prime York Harbor setting. Capitalizing on its location, almost every room features some form of coastal view, whether ocean, harbor or beach, and some have their own private balconies – the ideal spot to enjoy a crisp bottle of white and a cheese platter. Take a stroll around town, the oldest in Maine, before rounding off the day with a couple’s massage at the spa.
There’s a lot to love about this young-at-heart Kennebunk property. Freestanding bathtubs grace many of the rooms, as do fresh flowers. Contemporary New England cuisine is dished up at the on-site restaurant White Barn Inn (think Maine “peekytoe” crab and cucumber summer salad with shiso, and lobster bisque with an espresso crème fraîche). There’s a wild array of experiences on offer, too, such as cooking classes and woodland dog sledding.
Housed within a 1923 art deco-era building, there’s a sizable chunk of history at this Portland address. Located within the city’s revitalized warehouse district, the building underwent a sleek redesign, welcoming its first guests in 2015. Take the complimentary bicycles out for a ride around town before dining on oysters and Moët at the hotel’s popular bar, Inkwell. All rooms and suites enjoy a turndown service, too, so you can look forward to a cheeky chocolate before bed.
The Yachtsman Hotel’s warm welcome, whereby guests are treated to a glass of prosecco, sets the indulgent tone for your romantic getaway in Maine. This remodeled former motor lodge has plenty of pizzazz, from the pool barge docked in the river beside the property to the colorful interiors. Wake up to a special delivery – a basket of baked goods, best devoured in bed, and laze away the day together on your private terrace.
Kevin Raub contributed additional reporting to this article.
Looking for more plush hotels in Maine? Check out our guide to the best boutique hotels in Maine, USA, bookable with Culture Trip. If you’re bringing your furry friend, you’ll want to see our guide on the best pet-friendly hotels in Maine.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.