From fall’s leaf peepers to antiques seekers and beach dreamers, Maine has long been hot property for vacationers looking to escape the grind. After all, even the state’s most populous city of Portland is only home to some 66,000 people. From gorgeous kids’ bunk rooms to historic homes full of period charm, these eight boutique hotels in Maine dish up a Pine Tree State experience that’s next level, honing in on all the little details that make Maine special.
Nothing says “boutique” more than hand-sewn bed throws and window drapes made by none other than the innkeeper. At Captain Lord Mansion, each guest room is elaborately decorated and named after a boat or ship associated with the Lord family, who maintained this Kennebunkport mansion for 158 years. You’ll find a heated floor in the bathroom, a fireplace in the bedroom and oodles of historic charm everywhere, with walls splashed with antique art and vintage trinkets dotting nooks and timber tables.
Whether you opt for this wilderness resort’s bungalows, cottages or its new Treetop Lodges, one thing is certain – you’ll feel right at home. Have old-fashioned chocolate chip cookies and glass-bottled milk delivered to your smartly dressed and spacious room. Occupy a stool at Hidden Pond’s candlelit bar, under hanging branch decorations, and enjoy herb-infused cocktails. Don’t forget to stop and smell the roses at the property’s organic farm.
If you’re in the market for a spot of good old-fashioned hospitality, the Inn at English Meadows is the perfect place. Both the bed and the breakfast are supercharged at this Kennebunk B&B. Innkeeper Elizabeth Arruda prepares a gourmet three-course breakfast each morning, alongside a coffee blend developed especially for the inn by Portland roasters Coffee by Design. The beds are none other than hypoallergenic Vera Wang mattresses, dressed with down duvets and pillows.
Almost every amenity you could possibly dream up is on offer at this country inn, which skirts the fringes of the mountain village of Bethel. An ice-skating rink come winter? An 18-hole golf course designed by a renowned golf-course architect? A year-round outdoor heated pool? A tavern? You’ll find all of the above and more at this historic Maine resort, set on 200 acres (81ha).
Don’t let appearances fool you. Although this sprawling Southern Maine resort is home to 226 guest rooms and suites, the vibe feels undeniably intimate. Cliff House has zoned in on a wealth of special touches. The Cove Pool cabanas come with charging stations for your devices and a dedicated server. There’s a fully curated art exhibit on the property that changes with the seasons and supports local artists and museums. Kids will adore the Sleepaway Bunk Suites.
The rooms at this York Harbor property are modest, but the views are not. Sitting pretty on a rocky peninsula, with the sandy shores of York Harbor Beach by its side, Stage Neck Inn offers a panoramic outlook that takes in the harbor, the beach and the ocean. Bob around in the outdoor freshwater pool, toast s’mores over a firepit on the property’s lawn and tuck into the daily American breakfast buffet.
Exposed brick chimneys, timber beams, paneled doors – expect special architectural features in every direction you look at White Barn Inn. This luxurious Kennebunk retreat has been known to attract its fair share of celebrities, and it’s not hard to see why. You’ll find fresh flowers in your room, complimentary port in the resort lounge, live piano music played nightly at the White Barn Inn Restaurant and a ridiculous array of resort activities on offer.
Designed and built by owners Sarah and Pete Dostie, Hawk’s Nest Lodge is an all-American log cabin that’s truly one of a kind, made from timber between 100 and 200 years old. Inside, you’ll find custom-made furniture. Outside, on the lodge’s deck, there are a couple of wood carvings made by chainsaw-carver extraordinaire Jeff Samudosky. Best of all, as a guest at this Kennebec Valley lodge, you’ll be staying in the thick of a wilderness playground.
Fancy discovering more plush hotels in Maine? Check out our pick of the best hotels in Bar Harbor, Maine, or the most romantic hotels to book in Maine, all bookable with Culture Trip. Or for more hotel options, check out the best hotels in Maine for every traveler, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.