In the summer some people flock to colder climates and in the winter even more people choose to fly south and chase the sunshine. However, there is a perfect place to spend fall, that beautifully brisk season that varies in length but is always a welcome sight when the first leaves turn red. That place is a tiny town on the southeastern shore of Maine called Kennebunkport. Here are ten reasons to visit during the fall.
Easy to get to
Maine is deceptively large and can be intimidating to drive through since most major locations are few and far between. Kennebunkport however is the southernmost place to visit and is an easy five to six hour drive from New York and an even shorter drive from Boston. It makes for a beautiful drive in the fall, especially through the red and yellow tree lined Connecticut and New Hampshire highways.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Rocky shore lines with deep navy blue seas, lush forests with occasional dense fog, quiet and rustic buildings, each house a different color. Driving through Maine can certainly look like something out of a Tolkien novel, especially late fall and during early snowfalls.
Cold but Cozy
Just like every northern state, Maine can get incredibly cold. Every house and every hotel room has either a fire place or wood stove for those crisp and chill nights. Once October comes, the soft and heavy blankets come out along with the hot apple cider and the gas stoves.
Great restaurants, old and new
Excellent food can be found all over Kennebunkport. Allison’s has been doing lobster rolls right since 1973. The Tides Beach Club has a modern cocktail scene but is also a favorite place to dine for the Bush family. Ports of Italy, a brand new Italian restaurant, crushes the stereotype that you can’t find great Italian food north of New York.
Kind and generous people
It’s either the serene landscape or the distance from hectic city centers, but Maine has some of the nicest people. They are always ready to welcome you into their home or tell you about the goods that they’ve made. They answer your questions about their beautiful state with pride and enthusiasm.
Huge classic car scene
According to the owner of Motorland, a classic car trader, buyer, show room and service center in Arundel, Maine is one of the top states for classic car buying, due to its affluent population and number of retirees. Motorland offers an assortment of midcentury and European vintage cars, as well as a service center for new or old cars. He will also ship or drive the car to you, no matter how far away. They are the go-to spot for local independent driver service HydiDrive and her old station wagon.
Updated historic inns
Rich in history, specifically nautical history, there are many inns that were once owned by captains. Two such inns are Captain Jefferd’s Inn and Captain Lord’s Mansion, both updated with luxurious linens and the most modern bathroom amenities. Both keep with the traditional interior design, but The Inn at English Meadows, another historic inn, updated the entire interior to an elegant, modern minimalist look while keeping the original moldings and plank floors. The Nonantum Resort is reminiscent of Kellerman’s in Dirty Dancing in that it appeals to families for its activity days, expansive property, and large banquet halls. The only thing missing was Patrick Swayze.
Top Notch Beaches
Kennebunkport is the Hamptons of New England, maybe even the new Cape Cod. Sprawling, gated vacation homes line the coast, a coast line that can be either white and sandy or pebbly and rocky. Either way, the oceans are a deep rich blue that is calm and clear.
Locally sourced food and products
You’d be hard pressed to find a CVS, Dollar Store or Whole Foods within the Kennebunks. They take pride in sourcing everything locally, like beer, vinegars and olive oils and ice creams. Farm + Table sells small batch foods and house wares from artisans throughout Maine and other states. They nurture their relationships with the makers as well, so everything remains closely connected to the source.
Deep sense of community
The Chamber of Commerce does a great job of creating community focused activities and events, as well as events that bring in tourists from other states and countries. The shop keepers, restaurant owners and inn-hosts all participate in growing the community, whether it is through cooking classes, holiday events, or press tours. Not to mention, everyone knows each other. Either way, community runs deep in the Kennebunks.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.