When only a staycation with man’s best friend will do, choose from one of these pet-friendly hotels in Maine, USA.
Traveling with pets can be a headache. You might not know what facilities are on offer at your chosen hotel, or whether furry friends are really welcomed with open arms. But with gourmet pet menus, turndown service with dog treats and personalized dog beds on offer, these Maine pet-friendly hotels promise to deliver a memorable holiday for both you and your pooch.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A show-stopping coastal resort on lighthouse-dotted Cape Elizabeth, Inn by the Sea is not just the stuff of vacation dreams for humans, but for your furry family members, too. Staff leave a signature treat for your dog at turndown service each night, while water bowls, blankets and beach towels are also a given. There’s even a gourmet pet menu available. Moreover, this hotel has a soft spot for pooches, taking in several dozen foster dogs each year, which welcome guests in the lobby.
If you’re traveling with just one pup, then consider this York Harbor hotel. There’s a surcharge of $50 per dog, per night, but for the price your canine friend will enjoy a personalized bowl and dog bed, as well as al fresco showers. Most conveniently, dogs are allowed on neighboring York Harbor Beach, just a stick’s throw away (though there are certain restrictions depending on the season and time of day).
You don’t have to forego creature comforts or boutique properties to vacation with your pet, as the York Harbor Inn proves. The period features and furnishings of this pet-friendly hotel in Maine are still intact at this historic property, built in 1730, which feels like a home away from home. All the usual extras are on offer for your pets here (blankets, food and water bowls, trash bags, treats) and hotel staff will be happy to present you with walking maps and lists of pet-friendly beaches in the area.
Originally opened in 1927 as the Eastland Park Hotel, this hotel, now part of the Marriott family, is located in the heart of historic Downtown Portland, Maine’s most populous city. Guests are welcome to bring up to two dogs during their stay, at no additional charge, with beds, bowls and even treats provided. If you can find a sitter (dogs can’t be left alone in rooms) then make a beeline for the hotel’s rooftop bar, which offers floor-to-ceiling window views of Portland and Casco Bay.
Vacationing with a small or medium-sized dog? You’ll find a warm welcome at this charming Kennebunk inn. There’s an additional fee of $45 per night, and you can choose from two different accommodation options: the Tack Room Suite with its gas fireplace, king-size bed, sitting room and its own private entrance; or the Bungalow, which features two bedrooms and a screened-in porch, and is available between May and October.
Fur babies will go wild for backcountry walkies near this storied Kingfield property. There’s the pooch-friendly Narrow Gauge Pathway rail-trail, which runs between the softly rounded peak of Maine’s Sugarloaf Mountain and the 36,000-acre (14,569-ha) Bigelow Preserve. Alternatively, there’s the Kennebec Valley Trail, which traces the curves of its eponymous river. A maximum of two dogs of any size are welcome for an additional fee of $30 per pet, per night.
Just 6mi (10km) from the best skiing on the East Coast, the Bethel Inn Resort accommodates all family members, including your pet. Head off snow-shoeing with your dog bounding ahead through the forest. It has designated pet-friendly rooms with furniture coverings, so you don’t have to worry about your pooch shedding hair everywhere. There is a surcharge of $35 per pet, per night.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.