Famed for its history and culture, the city of Bath has been providing visitors with a relaxing experience for nearly 2,000 years. With its fascinating historical landmarks, including the Roman Baths and the Royal Crescent, along with a wide selection of boutique shops and restaurants, it’s easy to see why the city is one of the top tourist spots in the UK. To help you plan your trip, we’ve found the best places to stay in Bath – bookable on Culture Trip.
Popular with couples, this ivy- and wisteria-covered place to stay in Bath has the feel of a country house but is within walking distance of the city centre. Rooms are calming sanctuaries, while communal spaces are crammed with fine art. It’s worth splashing out on a romantic meal at the on-site garlanded restaurant overlooking the award-winning gardens. But if the sun’s out, afternoon tea on the terrace can feel just as fancy. Feeling extra indulgent? Treat yourself to a massage at the only L’Occitane spa in the UK.
The fast-growing Hotel Indigo chain by InterContinental is gaining a reputation as a good-value option for travellers the world over – and the Bath outpost is no exception. Rooms in this revamped Georgian mansion are adorned with Austen-inspired artwork and kaleidoscopic statement wallpapers, while the moody wood-panelled restaurant woos omnivores with a nose-to-tail menu. Good news for history lovers: the Roman Baths are a five-minute walk away.
Twenty-nine bedrooms sprawl across four huge honey-coloured townhouses to make up this quirky boutique hotel, where DAB radios and White Company toiletries come as standard in the oversized ensuites. A handful of top attractions – including the Royal Crescent, Bath Assembly Rooms and Museum of Bath Architecture – are just moments away. Don’t miss the chance to indulge in a nine-course meal at the on-site Olive Tree Restaurant, home to the only Michelin star in town.
This boutique B&B overlooks wander-worthy Henrietta Park, on the quiet east side of the River Avon. Rooms are tasteful and welcoming, with warm, colourful textiles and home-made shortbread on the tea tray. Once you’ve worked up the courage to pull back the goose-down duvet and vacate your cosy Hypnos bed come morning, it’s time to head downstairs, where the friendly, attentive staff will offer you a buck’s fizz with breakfast (opt for the full English – you won’t be disappointed).
This four-star bed and breakfast is just a short trip from the centre of Bath and perfect for either casual business trips or romantic weekend getaways. The stylish yet minimal rooms feature ensuite bathrooms and kitchenettes; a continental breakfast is available either in the dining area or in the comfort of your room. If you’re looking for a unique experience, the Cedars has an Airstream caravan available to hire outside the main building, perfect for a private weekend.
This welcoming place to stay in Bath, found in a Grade II-listed Georgian villa, is all about local history. Featuring many local historical items, including the original altarpiece from nearby Bath Abbey – one of the most impressive buildings in the city – the guesthouse is a charming B&B with traditional rooms and a wonderful private garden. You can have breakfast in the authentic Georgian dining area.
If you want the definitive Bath experience, the Gainsborough, with its incredible heritage, five-star lodgings and direct access to mineral-rich thermal waters, is the place to stay. Named after local artist Sir Thomas Gainsborough, the hotel offers a luxurious visit. While built in the 1800s, it has all the trappings of a modern hotel, including heated bathroom floors, flat-screen HDTVs and Nespresso coffee machines as standard.
Within a collection of Georgian townhouses, the opulent Francis Hotel Bath is the perfect choice for those looking for an extravagant weekend in the city. Built by Jon Wood the Elder, this Grade I-listed building is worth visiting in its own right. As part of your stay, you can enjoy Egyptian cotton linen, White Company toiletries and beautiful views of the surrounding city. The hotel also has a variety of dining options, including a delightful afternoon tea offering.
If you’re looking for something slightly different, consider staying at the No15 by GuestHouse. Found in an authentic Georgian townhouse down a quiet residential street, it incorporates an artistic touch in the individually styled rooms. Making the most of Bath’s artistic heritage, the hotel also has an art collection. No15 is home to an award-winning restaurant and bar, too, as well as a fully functional day spa offering a variety of different massages and treatments.
Offering a fresh accommodation alternative in the city, SACO is a great option for those looking for a private weekend break or an extended stay. With artfully furnished rooms, fully stocked kitchens and ensuite bathrooms, these self-contained apartments are ideal for self-catering. They’re also close to the city centre and many attractions, allowing you to make the most of your time in the city.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Nicholas Grantham contributed additional reporting.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.