Once the famed playground for the rich and famous, Bath has been entertaining the great for millennia at the Roman Baths. Declared a Unesco World Heritage site in the late 1980s, Bath is home to extravagant Georgian architecture, inviting eateries and bars, and a vibrant cultural scene. With grandeur being a central theme of the city, we’ve listed some of the top hotels in Bath – bookable on Culture Trip – for you to choose from on your next visit.
Technically, this luxury hotel in Bath is a B&B, but it’s a particularly high-end version with 21 rooms over two Victorian buildings and excellent service. It’s well situated for tourists – just an eight-minute walk from the Roman Baths and 15 from the rail station. Its location on the northeast side of the city is charming, too, with leafy streets and Victorian townhouses. Ask for a room with a view of Henrietta Park.
This luxury hotel in Bath is in an impressive Victorian villa, around 15 minutes from the city centre. Featuring antique pieces within an overall modern style concept, it has luxury touches throughout, including four-poster beds and claw-foot or slipper baths. Breakfast – including home-made jams, local bread and cheese, and a full English that’s fully delicious – is served in the Orangery overlooking the Japanese-style gardens.
Another Victorian gem, this top Bath hotel has a listed stone building dating back to 1874 and is surrounded by gorgeous gardens. It’s a true boutique hotel, with 19 bedrooms featuring characterful pieces, Egyptian cotton sheeting, LCD TVs and Bose SoundLink Mini speakers; some also have four-poster beds. Wake up to an organic home-cooked breakfast before walking five short minutes to the sights in the city centre.
Set among the beautiful Somerset countryside and featuring a quirky style, the Homewood has rapidly become one of the top hotel experiences in Bath. Reopened in January 2020, this luxury hotel in Bath is full of creative touches while maintaining an excellent level of service and a great selection of luxurious rooms. If you’re looking for an extra relaxing stay, why not check yourself into the in-house spa, which offers a variety of treatments and massages that will leave you feeling Zen in no time.
Part of the award-winning Brownsword hotel group, this five-star hotel in Bath is the perfect respite from the bustling city centre nearby. Dating back to the Georgian period and keeping much of the charm and opulence, the Bath Priory prides itself on having exquisitely designed rooms, each named after a different flower and featuring ensuite marble bathrooms, L’Occitane toiletries and quality Vispring beds as standard. In addition to the wonderful lodgings, the Priory’s pride and joy is the award-winning restaurant, offering arguably the best French cuisine in the city.
Found in one of the top landmarks in Bath, the Royal Crescent, it’s no surprise that the hotel bearing the same name is one of the best lodgings in the city. It occupies two former residences in the crescent, and the hotel’s heritage can be seen in everything from the architecture and beautiful interiors to the attentive staff. With one of the most visited attractions in Bath on your doorstep, you’ll feel like you’re right at home in this historical city.
A certain eccentricity, synonymous with Bath, runs through every fibre of the Queensberry Hotel. Opened by experienced hoteliers Helen and Laurence Beere in 2005, the hotel has become one of the most renowned in the city. On top of its many attributes, the in-house restaurant, the Olive Tree, happens to be the only Michelin-starred restaurant in Bath and is well worth a visit in its own right. The rooms are expertly crafted, and the staff are extremely welcoming and attentive.
Voted hotel of the year for Bath, Bristol and Somerset in 2019, No15 by GuestHouse offers attention to detail in every aspect. The hotel sits on one of the most resplendent streets in Bath and is just a short walk from most of the city highlights. With a full-fledged spa offering many treatments and an in-house bar with a carefully curated cocktail menu, you might not want to leave this hotel in Bath at all. The rooms are thoughtfully put together, incorporating individual artistic flourishes, and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable about the local area.
The first UK offering from the lauded YTL hotel group, the Gainsborough finds itself in a lavish Grade II-listed building with access to the world-famous thermal baths. With elegant interiors created by the acclaimed Champalimaud Design, the hotel weaves together the building’s history with all the modern trappings of 21st-century luxury, including heated bathroom floors, Nespresso coffee machines and flat-screen HDTVs as standard. Be sure to book in a dip in the naturally heated, mineral-rich pools for which the city is best known and to which the hotel has exclusive access.
Designed and built by famed local architect John Wood the Elder, the Grade I-listed Francis Hotel comprises seven adjacent townhouses and has been welcoming guests for nearly 150 years. The ultra-comfortable four-poster beds are swathed in Egyptian cotton, and the bathrooms have exclusive White Company toiletries. This hotel in Bath is just a short walk from the famous city landmarks and has a wonderful in-house restaurant offering a terrific afternoon tea.
Sarah Warwick contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.