A Unesco-listed since the late 1980s, Bath is one of the top tourist destinations in the UK. With plenty of beautiful Georgian architecture, a fascinating history dating back to the Romans and a huge selection of boutique restaurants and shops, it’s easy to see why the city is a must-visit destination. We’ve put together some of the best hotels in Bath for some help with where to stay next time you’re in the storied city, all bookable with Culture Trip.
A stay at this five-star Georgian hotel in Bath guarantees a wellness experience like no other. The 1800s facade disguises a glass atrium that houses Spa Village Bath, a spa with access to the mineral-rich thermal waters of this heritage city. In a nod to Roman traditions, the spa offers an hour-long Bath Circuit, which takes guests on a bathing tour through its thermal baths, saunas, steam room, ice chamber and relaxation rooms. The guest rooms themselves favour period features and classical, custom design, with luxurious contemporary touches such as underfloor heating and Aromatherapy Associates toiletries.
Spacious rooms in this plush, five-star guesthouse incorporate pastel hues and white marble, each one well-appointed with upholstered, king-size beds, rainfall showers and lavish, freestanding baths. Recently renovated, this Edwardian, 13-room property on the edge of the city will charm you with its understated design, peaceful setting and onsite dining; the Bouvardia Restaurant serves up tender scallops, nori-wrapped monkfish tail and cardamom panna cotta.
A short stroll from Bath city centre will bring you to this honey-coloured Georgian property, nestled amid well-tended gardens. The gothic-inspired facade, built in 1835, contains 33 well-appointed rooms, a three-AA-rosette restaurant and a garden spa by L’Occitane. The extensive walled gardens invite a wander; the kitchen garden, meadow and private nooks are populated by century-old trees and seasonal flora such as magnolia, irises and snowdrops. Take tea on the terrace and savour the view.
Located inside a collection of former Georgian townhouses, the prestigious Francis Hotel is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a memorable Bath hotel. The building itself is Grade I-listed, and each room features a king-size bed, Egyptian cotton linen and a Nespresso coffee machine as standard. History can be seen all around you in the classic architecture of the hotel, with period features and artworks illustrating the hotel’s impressive history.
A charming Bath city centre hotel, the Abbey offers guests a stylish yet comfortable stay, and with its unique style and sleek presentation, it is a fashionable choice. The rooms are expertly furnished to reflect the work of the building’s architect, John Wood. The hotel’s in-house restaurant and Art Bar are also definitely worth a visit in their own right, with a curated cocktail menu and changing art exhibitions showing the best pieces by local artists.
This boutique retreat is perfect for those looking to escape to the country whilst still being close to Bath. This gorgeous hotel has 31 uniquely styled rooms on offer and is a popular choice for weddings, parties and other events. Located a short drive outside of Bath in the Somerset countryside, the hotel has a relaxing atmosphere, with an in-house spa offering a variety of massages and treatments to help you rewind. Among the true highlights are the hotel’s private outdoor hot tubs, offering a great way to end a busy day exploring the city.
With an atmosphere reflecting the rich personality of the city, No15 Great Pulteney is a luxurious four-star hotel set amongst a collection of Georgian townhouses in the heart of Bath. Each room is individually designed with a focus on creating a personal feel and showcasing some of the fantastic art the hotel owns. No15 has a host of excellent facilities, including an in-house spa and a gorgeous bar and restaurant serving a selection of next-level dishes and cocktails. With its historic frontage and stylish decor, the hotel oozes period charm and is sure to give guests a memorable experience.
The award-winning Queensberry is a sophisticated option for your stay in the city. Exhibiting all the exuberance and wit Bath is known for, the interior is modern yet quirky, with thoughtfully spacious rooms and colourful individual designs in each. On top of this, the hotel’s in-house restaurant, the Olive Tree, is one of just a few Michelin-starred eateries in the city, with an exceptional menu put together by head chef Chris Cleghorn.
The elegant Royal Crescent Hotel and Spa is a perfect melding of history with modern service. Built in 1775 by famed Bath architect John Wood the Younger, the Royal Crescent Hotel is one of the best-known buildings in the city. Formerly housing the rich and sometimes royal, the hotel now boasts lavish rooms with a regal touch of extravagance. Literally housed in one of the city’s main attractions, you’ll feel as if you’re living in a part of local history.
Part of the exclusive Radisson group of hotels, Henrietta House is a sleek and modern offering. With carefully crafted rooms showcasing the heritage of the building as well as all the modern comforts, this hotel is an excellent option for those looking for a home away from home in Bath. Located just a short walk away from some of Bath’s best attractions – including the Roman Baths, the Thermae Bath Spa and the Jane Austen Centre – it’s a great choice for guests wanting to spend time exploring the city. The classically designed bar is a perfect place to grab a nightcap before bed.
None of these take your fancy? Discover our guide to the best boutique hotels in Bath and book now on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Chloe Thrussell contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.