When booking a holiday in Spain, many people automatically think of the country’s southern region—the Andalusian cities of Seville, Granada or the beaches of the Costa del Solo—or larger cities like Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia. Though the northern Spanish regions of the Basque Country, Navarra, Aragón, Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia may not be obvious holiday options, we’ve got a guide for the the best time to visit them.
Weather can dramatically affect your holiday and the activities you do. If you’re looking for a city break in northern Spain, then you can pretty much visit any time of year. The larger cities, such as Zaragoza, Bilbao or San Sebastian, have plenty of museums, indoor cultural venues and restaurants. If you prefer outdoor activities however, then spring, summer or autumn are probably the best time to head there, though you may run the risk of encountering the rainy season, especially in the spring.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Timing your vacation with one of Northern Spain’s epic festivals is a great way to decide when to visit. Perhaps you’re a wine lover and want to time your visit to La Rioja when the Batalla del Vino (Wine Battle) is on in August in the town of Haro. Or maybe you want to experience true Basque culture and stay in Bilbao for the Aste Nagusia or “Big Week” celebrations, which also happen in August. In San Sebastian, the Tamborrada Festival is on in January and Galicia holds the quirky Os Peliqueiros Carnival around February and March.
Timing your holiday will also depend on which region you want to visit. If you want to visit Galicia or Asturias, for example, you’ll find the weather quite similar to that of the UK, meaning unpredictable cold and rainy days throughout the year, even in summer. As you move further east, however, you’ll find that the seasons become a bit more predictable. Catalonia in particular typically has four classic seasons with short and sometimes rainy springs, very hot summers and cold, but often bright and sunny winters.
Will you be wanting to go to the beaches, spend your time hiking and visiting natural parks? Perhaps you’ll want to try out some of Spain’s best ski resorts? If you’re looking to hike during your holiday, you’ll probably want to visit Spain during the spring or autumn when it’s not too hot or too cold. For a beach-centric vacation, summer is, of course, the best time to go, and for skiing in the Aragonese Pyrenees or Catalonia, plan to take your trip from January to March. Surfers can also opt to visit the Basque Country in the winter when the swell is at its best.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.