Places such as Switzerland, France and Austria are more frequently associated with ski resorts than sunny Spain. However, with the Pyrenees mountains bordering the country in the north and the high Sierra Nevada in the southern region, when it comes to snow sports, there are in fact a number of winter locations to choose from. We’ve rounded up some of the best ski resorts in Spain, whether for seasoned skiers, beginners or families.
Spain’s biggest and most popular resort lies around 200 kilometers north of Barcelona in the Val d’Aran area of the Pyrenees. It offers more than 80 kilometers of runs to suit all levels, including a number of black diamond runs to challenge even the most competent of skiers. As well as classic downhill skiing, at Baqueria-Beret winter sports lovers can enjoy snowshoeing, dog sledding, heli-skiing, paraskiing and cross-country skiing. Surrounding the resort you’ll also find many traditional villages to visit, filled with local architecture and traditional churches.
Baqueira-Beret, Lugar Afores, Salardú, Lleida, Spain, +34 973 63 90 00
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Situated between the Andalusian city of Granada and the Mediterranean Sea, this is one of the few Spanish ski resorts not located in the Pyrenees, and is in fact Europe’s southernmost ski resort. It can be reached by bus from Granada in just under one hour, and is an easy day trip from the city. Visit the Sierra Nevada towards the end of the season, in March or April, when you can ski in the morning and then head to the beach at Salobreña in the afternoon. The resort offers 106.80 kilometers of runs, which cater to all levels, and also has a number of ski schools, snow gardens with rides for children, cafés and restaurants, as well as a handful of hotels.
Sierra Nevada Ski Station, Plaza de Andalucía, 4, Sierra Nevada, Granada, Spain, +34 902 70 80 90
La Molina and Masella
Situated within easy reach of Barcelona for a day trip, the twin resorts of La Molina and Masella sit side by side and offer more than 130 kilometers of pisted runs between them. La Molina is Spain’s oldest ski resort, home to the country’s first ski lift, inaugurated in 1943, and its first ski school. With its easy runs, it’s ideal for beginners, as well as snowboarders, being home to a large terrain park. Masella, situated on Tosa d’Alp mountain, is more popular with advanced skiers, offering many zigzagging downhill runs.
La Molina, Edifici Telecabina Alp, Alp, Province of Girona, Spain, +34 972 89 20 31
Located in the Aragon Pyrenees close to the French border at Pau, and 170 kilometers from the city of Zaragoza in Spain, Formigal is a quiet, laid-back resort favored by local families and beginners. The resort provides over 140 kilometers of slopes, as well as snow gardens and services for children. Right next door is the small budget resort of Aramón Panticosa, offering around 35 kilometers of pisted downhill runs catering to various levels, as well as a ski school suitable for beginners.
Aramón Formigal-Panticosa, Edificio Sextas, Urbanización Formigal, Sallent de Gállego, Huesca, Huesca, Spain, +34 974 49 00 00
Puerto de Navacerrada
Located around 50 kilometers from Madrid, Puerto de Navacerrada is popular with day-trippers from the capital. The resort is split into two sections: the upper part for intermediate and advanced skiers, and the lower part for beginners and those who want easier runs. It also offers a ski jump and slalom run.
Puerto de Navacerrada, Calle Dos Castillas, 3, Cercedilla, Madrid, Spain, +34 902 88 23 28
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.