Spain is well known for its amazing and crazy festivals, and Galicia is no different. Here’s our pick of some of the best, from the Os Peliqueiros Carnival to the Festival of Santiago Apóstol.
Os Peliqueiros Carnival
Taking place in around February and March each year, Os Peliqueiros Carnival is held in the town of Laza in the province of Ourense. The origins of this festival are not known, but it is thought to have either originated from the Celts or the Romans. On Carnival Sunday, people dress up as the Os Peliqueiros characters, wearing giant hats and masks, uniforms dangling with cow bells and holding whips. On the Monday, a battle commences, where people use both flour and live ants as ammunition.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Festas de San Xoán
San Xoán, San Juan or Sant Joan, as it’s called in various regions of Spain, takes place all over the country on the night of June 23rd. It honours the birth of St John the Baptist with fireworks and bonfires, but nowhere celebrates it quite like Galicia. When the clock strikes midnight, Galicians head to the beaches to light bonfires and prepare queimada, a drink made from Aguadiente liquor, sugar, coffee beans, lemon peel and cinnamon sticks, which is set on fire. An incantation is said over the concoction, said to keep witches away, and people jump over the bonfires to bring good luck. Swimming in the sea at midnight also brings luck on this night.
A Rapa das Bestas
Taking place during the first week of July, A Rapa das Bestas means ‘Capture of the Wild Beasts’ and dates back to the 15th century. It takes places in the village of Sabucedo, where locals head into the mountains to try and capture wild horses to cut their manes and tails. Although it’s amazing to get the chance to see wild horses and the festival is very popular, it’s somewhat controversial as the horses often get into fights and are sometimes roughly treated during the capturing process.
Fiesta de Santiago Apóstol
Held in the city of Santiago de Compostela, the festival celebrates San Santiago, also known as St James in English, the patron saint of the city of Santiago de Compostela, of Galicia and also of the whole of Spain. Taking place during the second fortnight of July, it features many cultural events such as music, dancing and singing, as well as huge firework displays. The main days are the 24th and 25th of July. On the 24th, the main pyrotechnic display takes place, while on the 25th there is a mass at the cathedral of Santiago to celebrate Galicia Day.
Fiesta del Marisco
Seafood plays an important part in all of Spain’s cuisine, particularly in northern Spain and Galicia. In fact, seafood is such as integral part of the diet here that there’s even a festival to celebrate it. The most famous seafood festival in the whole of Spain is O Grove Fiesta del Marisco, taking place each October on the peninsula of O Grove in western Galicia. It features everything from fresh seafood stalls to cooking demonstrations and competitions, and even sculptures.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.