Lanzarote, one of the Canary Islands, is known for its volcanic landscape, black-sand beaches and windsurfing hotspots. And if you want to avoid the large Spanish resorts and opt for a boutique hotel instead, we’ve gathered the best on the island – all bookable on Culture Trip.
With plenty of sweeping golden beaches and a perennially sunny climate, Lanzarote attracts its fair share of holidaymakers. But scratch the surface and there’s a lot more to it, including the far-reaching influence of local artist César Manrique who stamped his unique vision across the island. While many associate Lanzarote with resort-style hotels, an increasing number of boutique properties cater to independently minded travellers, too.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
While certainly at the larger end of the boutique hotel, this bijou holiday complex has all the intimate atmosphere and personality you’d expect from one. It’s an adults-only establishment, located in the Playa Blanca resort, a short stroll from Dorada Beach. Hispanic-meets-Arabian design adds a touch of the exotic, while a pair of pools, a full-service spa and several dining options give little reason to leave the grounds. Book your slot at the exclusive Palapa for an extra-romantic dining experience.
Set in the heart of the village of Teguise – considered one of the oldest in the Canaries – Hotel Boutique Palacio Ico also has deep historical roots. Built around 1690, the palacio was carefully restored staying true to its original Canarian character. Most of the nine guest rooms are huge yet homely, with centuries-old wooden floors and island-style furnishings. An emphasis on art and music is reflected in an extensive library of art books and impressive vinyl collection which, of course, you are free to use.
Just on the edge of the popular resort of Puerto del Carmen, Aqua Suites comprises a triangle of whitewashed, clean-lined buildings centred around a sunny swimming pool. Breezy modern décor with aquamarine accents give the hotel a cheerful holiday atmosphere, popular with families. There’s a poolside bar for tipples and nibbles during the day, while dinner is a daily-changing set menu. Alternatively, the buzzy beachfront lined with eateries is a pleasant 10-minute stroll away.
With an arched entrance, tall shuttered windows and whitewashed walls, Seaside Los Jameos Playa sets a distinctly Canarian tone before you’ve even set foot inside. Once you have, the theme takes off with fabulously intricate wooden craftsmanship, Manrique-inspired touches and a small forest of native flora. As well as containing two freeform pools, the subtropical gardens make a lovely spot for al fresco dining. You’re also just steps from Puerto Del Carmen’s popular Playa de los Pocillos and its many bars and restaurants.
With its beachfront location, directly overlooking the sand of Playa de los Pocillos, Hotel Las Costas scores high for setting. A perfectly positioned pool terrace takes full advantage too, as do most of the guest rooms. With a kids’ club, splash pool and playground, there’s loads to keep the little ones happy, plus evening entertainment for all ages. Sporty types can enjoy on-site activities such as squash, and soak over-stretched limbs in the big outdoor jacuzzi afterwards.
Finca Isolina is a boutique hotel, born out of a converted, traditional Canarian rustic house, dating from the early 19th century. It’s set on a hill overlooking the Lanzarote countryside with a dramatic mountain backdrop and distant sea views. Together with various local products, the family-run hotel offers home-made ice cream and smoothies made with produce grown in the gardens. There’s a small swimming pool, too, where you can admire the volcanic surrounds.
Positioned at the foot of an ancient volcano overlooking the Atlantic, this upscale villa complex has a spectacular natural setting. César Manrique-inspired design gives the villas a distinctly Lanzarote feel. Each villa comes self-contained and extends to its own garden with a private pool. There’s an excellent zero-km restaurant on-site, plus a supermarket full of local produce and freshly baked bread. Wellness options including yoga sessions, spa facilities and massage treatments complete an impressive package.
With box-fresh décor, broad sea panoramas and five-star facilities, La Cala Suites is hands-down one of the swishest holiday complexes you’ll find on the south coast of Lanzarote. This chic adults-only hotel offers a choice of rooms, suites and two-bedroom villas, all with Atlantic views as far as neighbouring Fuerteventura. Take your place on a salmon-pink poolside sunbed or cool off on a semi-submerged lounger. Cocktails are just steps away at the pool bar, while the more virtuous can find deluxe wellness facilities on site, too.
With direct access to the long stretch of dark volcanic sand of Matagorda Beach, it’s no mystery where this five-star hotel got its name. Its immaculate white-and-blue colour scheme creates a sunny yet soothing vibe throughout, especially around its two-tiered freeform swimming pool. From Nespresso machines to pillow menus, rooms certainly don’t scrimp on the amenities – deluxe rooms also add sea-view bubble tubs. For the best vistas, head to the rooftop lounge bar for sundowners and widescreen panoramas of the Atlantic Ocean.
A combination of volcanic rock, bold contemporary architecture and striking design touches make this one of the standout hotels in Lanzarote. Sharp lines, mirrored surfaces and open spaces add to the feeling of light and modernity, while also boasting super ecofriendly credentials. All-suite accommodation is swish and stylish, with some extending to spacious sea-view terraces, others private jacuzzis. Excellent dining and two swimming pools – one heated over the winter months – complete an impressive boutique-style stay.
Originally part of a building designed by celebrated Canarian artist and architect César Manrique, this adults-only all-suites hotels takes luxury to the next level. Most of the 25 high-end suites open to terraces with fabulous ocean views. Upscale amenities include Nespresso machines, smart TVs and even private wine bars. The entire hotel gleams a pure, clean white, while the outside space is decorated with attractive greenery around a super-swish swimming pool. Ultimately, a contender for the best hotel in the whole Canaries.
Opened in 2003, this former private villa is located in the quiet, largely residential Playa del Cable neighbourhood, just outside the capital, Arrecife. It’s low-rise and high-end, with a laid-back, intimate atmosphere of a homestay and the added bonus – to those seeking total relaxation – of being child-free. The 14 rooms all provide welcome chilled cava, while the suites feature terraces with a jacuzzi – just the spot for popping the fizz.
Owned by the same family for 200 years, Caserío de Mozaga is a traditional 18th-century Canarian country house, with a simple yet stylish rustic charm. The eight peaceful rooms are decorated with family heirloom antiques and crisp white linens, while bathrooms are small, bright and contemporary. Sadly, there is no pool but the courtyard and gardens make a lovely spot to kick back with a book; nab a spot in the seating area overlooking impressive cacti and bright-pink bougainvillea. The former stables have been converted into a popular restaurant, serving good-quality local dishes with some excellent wines.
For more options, discover our guide to the best hotels in Lanzarote and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.