From luxury homes in buzzy Corralejo to laid-back pads in sleepy villages, these are our favourite villas on the Spanish island of Fuerteventura.
For sunny beaches, water sports galore and rollicking nightlife, Fuerteventura can’t be beat. The island’s coastlines may just be the most dazzling in the Canary Islands archipelago, with majestic dunes and volcanic black sand. Swimming, surfing (try the waves at Isla de Lobos), wind-surfing, kiteboarding (best in the northwest), diving, fishing, and boat tours are just some of the aquatic adventures awaiting visitors, but landlubbers are happy here, too. Diversions on dry land include biking, volcano hiking, wine tasting, 4×4 tours, and more golf than one trip can tackle. For those travelling in large groups, here are the best villas on the island.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With large whitewashed villas, each equipped with its own private pool and rooftop terrace for soaking up the Canarian sunshine, Bahiazul Villas & Club is a chic pick for families looking for lots of elbow room and privacy. All villas feature fully kitted-out kitchens and hot tubs (some rooftop, others surrounded by the pools). It’s worth noting that smaller boutique properties such as Bahiazul are the exception in big-box Corralejo (Fuerteventura’s largest resort area), not the rule.
Like Bahiazul Villas & Club, Villas Veaco is something of an anomaly in Corralejo, where big, brassy resorts with extensive facilities are the name of the game. This upscale boutique villa-hotel is on the flip side of that, with minimalist design and an intimate atmosphere. A colour scheme of teals and earth tones, as well as private pools (complete with hot tubs and floating palms) enclosed by whitewashed walls make the refined villas feel air-lifted out of Santorini. Blue domed pizza ovens on the roof deck add to the Aegean feel.
This five-bedroom, four-bathroom villa has a prime location (within Salinas de Antigua Golf Resort, a few minutes’ walk from Caletilla del Espino and La Guirra beaches). The roomy, one-story layout is a dream for large groups and multi-generational families. Common areas are abundant and appealing. In addition to a modern kitchen and large living room with a lofted ceiling and comfy furniture, there’s a good-sized backyard with a heated pool and ample seating areas. The pool terrace acts as the villa’s main hangout hub, with a playground, games, a grill and even an outdoor fridge for maximum outside time. Parking is not a worry, as there’s a private garage.
This breezy, sports-centric property with self-catering villas has a nice perch between Las Playitas golf course and a dark-sand bay beach on Fuerteventura’s southeast coast. The villages of Las Playitas and Gran Tarajal are within a 10-minute drive, though the resort itself offers an enormous array of on-site diversions – tennis, volleyball, biking, water sports of every stripe, swimming in a heated Olympic-sized pool, and golf on an 18-hole course with a driving range.
Tao properties are akin to laid-back gated communities; the Mazo outpost is located in the traditional village of Lajares in the north of the island, a short drive from El Cotillo beach. The 17 units are split between one-, two- and three-bedroom villas, all with terraces, pools, full kitchens, and daily housekeeping. Don’t expect a disco here; a communal pool, sun deck, and volcanic gardens are the extent of the amenities and evidence of Tao’s easy going nature.
As far as villa stays in Fuerteventura go, Orange Light is a slam dunk. With three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a full-sized kitchen, the house is an ideal self-contained space for up to six travellers. The private pool deck is the nerve centre, with a heated saltwater pool, hot tub, outdoor dining table, and sheer-curtained Bali bed for afternoon siestas. Orange Light is located in a quiet residential area about a three-minute walk from the centre of Corralejo and a seven-minute drive from the Grandes Playas and their remarkable sand dunes.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.