With warm temperatures year-round, the Canary Islands are a magnet for sun seekers. Enjoy the very best its largest island has to offer at the top luxury hotels, including some five-star options, in Lanzarote.
Lanzarote is popular for its warm weather and sandy beaches, but this island in the Atlantic Ocean is also a place of luxury. Lanzarote has an abundance of indulgent hotels and resorts, along with fine-dining, opulent marinas, yachts and of course beautiful scenery. Here’s our round-up of Culture Trip approved luxury hotels on the island.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Isla y El Mar is a five-star hotel best described as an oasis of calm. The architecture uses Lanzarote’s iconic volcanic rock, cleverly set against natural light, to evoke the island’s unusual geology. The owners of this place really care about protecting the environment: it was the first hotel in the world to receive the Biosphere Responsible Tourism certificate, which is a guarantee of economic, socio-cultural and environmental balance. Pure luxury delivered responsibly: if that’s not enough of a reason to stay, we don’t know what is.
Meliá Salinas is its own little world, surrounded by beaches, dream pools and exotic tropical gardens. Designed by architect Fernando Higueras, exclusive private villas sit among botanical gardens, and have been recognised as part of the artistic and cultural heritage of Lanzarote. As you’d expect from a five-star resort, there are plenty of places to eat and drink, ranging from the beachside bar to a la carte Italian option Casa Nostra. Grown-ups, kick your stay up a gear by booking in to the adults-only Level, which adds an exclusive lounge, pool and other perks.
This five-star resort and spa, which was one of the first Dreams resorts in Europe, boasts incredible views of the Atlantic Ocean. Tearing yourself away from the sights, you’ll find exquisite cuisine, a spa, swimming pools and a gym. This hotel has lashings of luxury, so much so that you probably won’t want to leave. But make sure to venture out at some point: the resort is close to the magnificent beaches of Papagayo and the Timanfaya National Park, and the hotel’s helpful staff will help you plan your perfect trip. Tearing yourself away is worth it — and the Dreams’ pools await after a day exploring.
In the south of Lanzarote, this five-star resort has panoramic sea views, and with the bars, restaurants and yachts of Marina Rubicón on its doorstep, the Volcán attracts a well-heeled crowd. The big draw here is the unique architecture: with replicas of the island’s iconic sights, the property is styled to resemble a traditional village. But don’t let the village vibe deceive you: it’s luxury all the way with stunning pools, fine dining, a well-equipped gym and a spa. The Volcán can even take it a step further if you’re feeling VIP: join Club Volcán for access to exclusive areas and benefits to take your stay to the next level.
A seafront, five-star resort in Playa Blanca, H10 Rubicon Palace offers understated luxury. Recently renovated with airy interiors inspired by the island, the property has six restaurants, five bars — and sports facilities to work off last night’s excesses. The resort also has five adult swimming pools, one of which is heated in the winter months and three pools for the kids, two of which are kept warm all year. The children’s club and games room make the H10 a great option if you have little (or even slightly bigger) ones in tow.
If your idea of luxury is less sprawling beachside resort and more renovated rural retreat, check in to Finca Isolina in Macher. This traditional Canarian house, built in the early 1800s, was transformed in 2018 to create an exclusive boutique hotel with just seven rooms. There’s a focus on the island’s heritage here, with local crafts used in the property’s renovation and snacks made with local produce. Isolina’s owners are keen to protect the environment, which is just as well because it’s surrounded by beautiful mountains and sea views. On a clear day, you can see Fuerteventura and Lobos Island — and the hotel can arrange day trips to both if you’d like.
Leave the kids at home and check in to this casual adults-only resort, with modern villas and traditional top-tier service. Located in Playa del Cable, a stroll down the promenade takes you to the capital of Arrecife and Playa Honda. Come hungry, as you’ll find restaurants offering tasty local dishes to wash down with the island’s fine wines. Back at base, Villa Vik is a property with a luxurious but unpretentious feel. Yes, of course there are all the five star amenities you’d expect, but the interiors, dotted with pretty objects, patterns and textures, are more welcoming than intimidatingly grand.
Designed by famous architect César Manrique, this resort takes the form of three zocos (souks), overlooking the Atlantic Ocean from Playa Blanca. Named one of the top gastro locations in Spain, this Iberostar location has plenty of dining options to choose from: there are two restaurants, five bars and even a food truck. Make a splash at the on-site Aquafun park, with its array of water sports and swimming pools. And then, find your zen in the spa, on the beach or with your choice of pillow from the menu back in your room.
For more options, discover our guide to the most romantic hotels in Lanzarote, the best hotels to book in Lanzarote for every traveller, or the best hotels in Lanzarote and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.