With its rugged coastlines, hilltop towns and lush countryside, Italy offers epic driving experiences for every kind of traveler. Here, we put together seven of the most beautiful Italian road trip itineraries, including where to start, what to see along the way and where to finish your journey.
Wine Region, Tuscany
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Food and wine lovers will enjoy the drive in the Tuscan countryside famous worldwide for its bucolic landscapes dotted with vineyards and olive trees. Start in Florence and take south to the SS22 for about 30 minutes until you reach the Chianti wine region. Travel at your own pace while enjoying plenty of inspiring views of the iconic Tuscan country. Take your time zigzagging through Strada in Chianti and Greve, then stop at San Gimignano, the Medieval city known for its towers, and stroll through its narrow streets. Depending how much time you have, spend the night in town before going to Siena the next day or head further south to Buonconvento, Pienza, and end your trip in the spectacular Val D’Orcia – arguably the most amazing stretch of countryside in Tuscany.
Never heard about Puglia? This region hosts one of the most spectacular places of Italy, Salento, and, even if is a long way south, the journey is really worth it. The road between the Salento coast embraces huge cliffs, pristine turquoise bays and ancient towers once used to warn the villages of approaching armies and pirates. The best thing is to start the road trip from Santa Maria di Leuca, a small town with sandy beaches and Arabesque architecture, continue crossing Otranto, which offers plenty of dining options and also relaxing seaside walks, and end the journey in Gallipoli, also known as the Ibiza of Puglia because of its discothèques and clubs.
Amalfi Coast, Campania
You can’t say you have been to Italy without visiting the spectacular Costiera Amalfitana known worldwide for its dramatic coastline, pastel villages and rugged roads. Arguably, Amalfi Coast is the most scenic stretch of coastline in Italy. From Salerno, the main southern gateway, to the coast, strike to Vietri Sul Mare, a small town famous for its ceramics, and the starting point of the coastal road. From here the road becomes more challenging with views that are distracting. The coast’s main hub is Amalfi, with its landmark Cathedral of Saint Andrew and the surrounding hills. Then head to Positano, an elegant destination with colored houses, and end your trip in Sorrento, a lively tourist hot spot.
Sicilian Coast, Sicily
Sicily is the biggest island in Italy and in the Mediterranean and offers travelers gorgeous vistas and amazing panoramas. One of the most spectacular Italian road trips to do here is the one between the cities of Siracusa and Messina. Take your time to admire the biggest ancient theatre of Sicily located in Siracusa, the old city centre of Catania, and the slopes of Mount Etna, which still erupts today. The itinerary offers the opportunity to stop and explore the small coastal towns and enjoy the local seafood cuisine. A must-see spot during the journey is the ancient city of Taormina, famous for its spectacular Greek-Roman theatre. The trip ends in Messina.
Umbrian Countryside, Umbria
This small region called the “green heart of Italy” is arguably one of the most fascinating place of the country. Even if it is dotted with its beautiful countryside, hilltop villages, Medieval churches and romantic castles, the region is still magically undiscovered. The perfect introduction to Umbria is Spoleto, a hilltop town just a two-hour drive from Rome. Then head to the small-walled town of Norcia, famous for its gastronomy. If you have time, spend the night here and taste the typical salumi of Norcia in one of the restaurants of the town. The next few days soak in culture and history in Assisi (known for the spectacular church of San Francesco) and Perugia, and end your trop in Orvieto, near the Tuscan border.
The Great Dolomites Road, Trentino Alto Adige and Veneto
This area is undoubtedly one of the world’s most breathtaking mountain drives. The Great Dolomites Road, located just south of the Alps, starts at Cortina d’Ampezzo, one of the chicest and most expensive Italian destinations just two hours’ drive from Venice. Before continuing your trip, you have to stop near Cortina to taste the traditional mountain dishes such as polenta, a dish of boiled cornmeal that can be served as hot porridge or can be baked, grilled and fried. Then climb up to Falzarego Pass and end in Bolzano, in Trentino-Alto Adige, the capital city of the province of South Tyrol. This route gives you the chance to cross not only one but two Italian regions and admire spectacular alpine panoramas.
The National Park Of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise
The relatively unknown regions of Abruzzo, Lazio (except for Rome) and Molise offer to the travelers one of the most stunning countryside in Italy. The National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise, one of the oldest parks of Europe, hosts rare examples of European flora and fauna, such as bears, deers and wolves. The park is a true jewel dotted with mountains, forests, hamlets, castles and churches. The best place to start the journey is Frosinone, a town located in Lazio Region, then the road quickly climbs into the mountains and crosses untouched villages such as Bisegna, Scanno, Anversa degli Abruzzi and ends in Sulmona.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.