Taking its name from the long line of pine trees planted along the wall of the 18th-century Villa Serventi, Pigneto is a working-class neighbourhood with an artistic flair. From the local gelateria to the area’s many bars, restaurants and live music venues, there’s an appetite for all things independent here. Discover the best things to see and do in Pigneto and join in with its offbeat crowd.
Wine and dine at Necci dal 1924
While the pedestrian thoroughfare of Via del Pigneto boasts a number of establishments perfect for aperitivo and, later on, barhopping, the most iconic watering hole in the neighbourhood is Necci dal 1924. It was a favourite hangout of director Pier Paolo Pasolini, who shot his first film Accattone here in 1961. The locals still gather in the courtyard, sipping coffee or a cocktail in much the same way as in times gone by but the menu has had some modern upgrades.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hunt for vinyl
Old-school vinyl has enjoyed a revival in recent years, so perhaps it’s no surprise that Pigneto, with its young and trendy reputation, has a number of places to hunt for discs. While Ghost Record Store and Radiation Records both deal in wide-ranging genres, Blutopia on Via del Pigneto is a real musical haven. Don’t miss the second-hand bookstore upstairs either.
Shop where the locals shop
Though teeming with revellers by night, Pigneto has a more village-like feel during the day. Small stalls, bursting with fresh fruit and vegetables, line the main street of Via del Pigneto. Many of the bancaroli, or stall owners, have been selling their wares to Romans for generations, so don’t be afraid to ask for suggestions on how best to enjoy the rainbow of produce on offer.
Re-energise at Vitaminas 24
Vibrant and revitalising fare is on the menu at vegetarian café, Vitaminas 24. Dishes include wraps, soups, smoothies and a number of Brazilian specialties such as coxinhas, empadas and risoles. As well as showcasing tropical flavours, Vitaminas 24 chooses only organic, seasonal ingredients, many from producers in the Lazio region. The €12 lunch deal (€13 at dinner) is great value and consists of soup, salad and one of the daily specials – think veggie burgers, savoury tarts and vegan ‘meatballs’.
Wait for the metro to connect to the rest of the city
After years of delays due to funding issues and the discovery of archeological remains, Pigneto finally got its own metro stop in January 2015. However, while the C line happily transports people out into the eastern suburbs of Rome, it doesn’t yet connect to city centre. Residents are eagerly awaiting the big day, which is apparently scheduled for 2018. In the meantime, do as the locals do and don’t bother with the metro. To reach Pigneto, take tram 5 or 14 from Termini.
Taste test Rome’s most unassuming gelateria
With no flashy signs – or, in fact, almost any superfluous decoration – you’d be forgiven for passing La Gelateria del Pigneto without a second glance. Inside this unassuming shop, though, is one of Rome’s most interesting selections of gelato. Small in number but big on taste, the flavours change with the seasons and feature unusual ingredients such as violet, rose, jasmine and uva fragola – literally translating to ‘strawberry-grape’, this variety of grape has a sweet, summery taste.
Seek out spice at Mesob Ristorante
Go beyond carbonara and amatriciana and discover the different cuisines brought to Rome by its large immigrant population. There are a number of Ethiopian restaurants in the city but Mesob, tucked away on Via Prenestina, is widely considered the best. Opt for one of the sharing platters that feature slow-cooked meats, braised vegetables, and richly spiced lentils, all served atop traditional injera – use this spongy flatbread to scoop up the flavoursome food.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.