In the Lombardy region of northern Italy, Lake Como comprises many villages and villas that are worth a visit. Whether you are looking to explore history at the duomo, or venture onto the water, the lake and its environs are the perfect choice for an Italian holiday. Here are a few things to do in Bellagio if you’re undecided.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Duomo od Como, for magnificent architecture
Take a seat at a restaurant or bar in the square out front and admire the magnificent 15th-century neogothic façade of the Duomo, including sculptures of Pliny the Elder and the Younger. The interior doesn’t disappoint either – with more than 400 years in the making, it spans architectural styles. Entrance, of course, is free.
Villa del Balbianello, for a mixture of impressive art and nature
This estate, on the western bank of the lake, offers an enchanting view of the area. Accessible by boat or via a short hike, the late 16th-century villa sits in a lovely garden with an assortment of beautiful flowers and greenery, creating a combination of art and nature that is hard to find elsewhere. It is a must-see for nature and history buffs.
Taxi Boat Varenna, for a boat trip on the lake
This service offers short or long trips from Varenna to various attractions on the lake. The shortest tour is that of Varenna, lasting half an hour, and the longest is called George’s tour, which takes you past the villas dotting the shoreline, including George Clooney’s, in Laglio (2.5hrs). The boatman will also give suggestions as to where to have lunch or dinner on the lake.
Jungle Raider Park, for adventure enthusiasts
Jungle Raider Park – which has two different locations in Civenna and Margno – is an adventure park with everything from ziplines to bungee jumping out in nature. It has seven different levels of difficulty, including paths specifically designed for children or beginners – or those feeling a little less daring.
Basilica of Sant’Abbondio, for history lovers
The Basilica of Sant’Abbondio dates back to the 5th century CE, making it one of the oldest churches in the area; however, the current Romanesque structure was built in the 11th century. The simple decor is balanced by a highly ornamented apse, with frescoes dating back to the mid-14th century. The building was constructed over different periods, so you can see how it was shaped by the trends of each era and understand more about the history of Como.
Museum Moto Guzzi, for motorcycle fans
This museum will definitely appeal to those with a passion for motorcycles and engines in general, as it lays out the history of motorcycles via displays of vehicles from different eras. Admission is free of charge, and it is conveniently situated if you are touring the various villages on the lake.
Botanical Garden at Hotel Villa Cipressi, for gardens with a view
Part of the wonderful lakeside Hotel Villa Cipressi that was built in the 1400s, the Botanical Garden is open to the public, whereas the rest of the building belongs to the hotel and its restaurant. The century-old garden, running down to the lake, features an abundance of plants and flowers that nature lovers will adore. It is spread over different levels that overlook the water so you get lots of beautiful views.
Forte di Fuentes, for seeing a Spanish fort
This historic fortress is significant in that it represents one of the few remains of the Spanish dominion of the area. Dating back to the 17th century, it sits on the northern part of the lake, near Colico. If you are interested in local history, this really is a must, as walking through what used to be a stronghold, inclusive of a square and a church, will unravel tales of war and culture to boot.
Enoteca Principessa, for wine tasting
This winery can be found in Bellagio, where the lake divides into two branches. The proprietor is very knowledgeable and friendly and will guide you through his wide selection of great local wines. It is also possible to purchase wines and have them shipped home, even if you live on another continent. This place is definitely worth a stop-off if you fancy sampling one of Lombardy‘s most famous exports.
Sentiero del Viandante, for the best hiking
If you are a fan of hiking and can’t decide among Como’s many trails, this should be a contender. It is 45km (28mi) long, so it should be broken up into three or four stretches. Taking ramblers through the east coast of Lake Como, the path dates from Roman times and is the perfect way to explore the beauty of nature and art in the area.
If you’re heading elsewhere, visit Milan for an unforgettable trip. See what there is to do there and which neighbourhoods are considered the most trendy. Check out our guide on the most breathtaking destinations in Northern Italy, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.