Pisa is one of the most famous Italian towns and it is also a good option for a day trip from Florence. Of course, you need to visit the leaning Tower of Pisa, a white marble bell tower that would have stood 185 feet high had it not started to lean during construction. Although the tower is Pisa’s most popular attraction, in Piazza dei Miracoli there is also the cathedral and the baptistery attached to the tower that should not be missed.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Siena is one of the most popular day trip destinations from Florence. This ancient city is a masterpiece and it’s no surprise that the entire town centre is a UNESCO world heritage site. Siena is famous for its Palio, a horse race which runs in Piazza del Campo two days a year. The city is also known for its treasures such as the cathedral – a masterpiece of medieval architecture, the Palazzo Civico with its stunning frescoes, and Torre del Mangia, a 400-steps tower for amazing vistas of the city and surroundings hills.
For those who want to combine city and sea, Livorno is the right place to visit. On the coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea, Livorno is one of Italy’s traditional seaside resort towns. Providing less of a historical art and culture experience than other Tuscan cities, Livorno is a place to simply lay back and relax. It has its charm: from Fortezza Vecchia, the old fortress near the port, head to Quartiere La Venezia, a nice neighborhood with bridges and canals that make it look like a small Venice, and then on to Terrazza Mascagni, maybe the most beautiful terrace in Tuscany.
Val d’Orcia is a picturesque area of Tuscany that is around a two-hour trip by car from Florence. The entire region is protected as a natural park and includes several villages, castles, hamlets and farmhouses that visitors can get to all in one short trip. The most famous town is the hilltop city of Pienza, a UNESCO world heritage site with fabulous architecture and incredible views over the Crete Senesi area.
Located between Florence and Siena, San Gimignano is one of the nicest villages in Tuscany. It is just an hour by road from Florence and the road itself is a piece of art with its vineyards, olive groves, hills dotted with rustic agriturismos and ancient farms. San Gimignano boasts 14 medieval towers (once 72) and overlooks picturesque hills. The best thing to do here is stroll along the narrow cobblestoned streets and admire the stunning medieval buildings. Did you know that San Gimignano is also called “the medieval Manhattan” because of its ancient towers?
This charming little town, known for its Etruscan origins, is located in an excellent place between Florence, Pisa, Siena and the coast. Its peculiar urban layout reminds of its Etruscan origins (people can visit part of the majestic walls built in that era) but there are also many Roman remains to visit, such as the Roman Theatre. It was relatively unknown to tourists until the Twilight series, but fans might be disappointed to know that the movie scenes were actually filmed in Montepulciano.
This region which inspired many artists and photographers includes Florence, Siena and all the area between these towns. Chianti is the most popular area in Tuscany for many reasons: fabulous landscapes, charming agriturismos, delicious food, small towns and, of course, one of the best selection of wines in the world. It is possible to spend an entire day tasting wines and visiting the vineyards.
This ancient Etruscan walled-town is the perfect day trip from Florence if you want to avoid the crowds. To relax after the chaotic atmosphere of Florence, sit down in one of the bars of Piazza Garibaldi and take a light lunch before starting your visit. Stroll down through the narrow streets of the centre, admire the lovely palaces and churches and then head to Giardini Parterre, a park with magnificent views across the Valdichiana region.
Lucca is much smaller and less touristy than Florence, Pisa or Siena. A must-see spot in town is Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, an oval square with houses built into the walls of the Roman amphitheatre. The Duomo of San Martino also worth a visit because it houses many art treasures, such as Tintoretto’s Last Supper. For a unique sight, you should visit Palazzo Guinigi with a tree growing from its tower. At sunset, stroll along the ancient walls to admire the best panoramas over the city.
Montepulciano is a medieval village nestled in the Province of Siena which boasts terrific landscapes, castle walls, thermal springs and excellent wine. Indeed, it is famous worldwide for its Vino Nobile, an Italian product known worldwide. Montepulciano is also known as a jewel of the 16th century, thanks to its fabulous Renaissance architecture and art.
Arezzo is not the most typical of tourists spots and this is the reason why you should visit it, before everyone else discovers it. Arezzo is a wealthy city with a rich history of goldsmithery that still continues today. This opulence is reflected in the impressive Duomo which took almost 700 years to complete. Another not-to-miss spot is the Church of San Francesco, which hosts the frescoed high altar chapel by Piero della Francesca. If you are in town the first weekend of the month, don’t miss the popular and fun Arezzo Antique Fair.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.