If you are visiting Florence and you need to escape from the crowd, you have to know that there are many beaches where you can go to relax only one or two hours away by train. Note them for the next summer or you visit them in these last days of sun and fun this year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the province of Lucca, Viareggio is the most easily reachable beach from Florence (just an hour by train or car). This historic seaside resort is mostly frequented by families because of its sandy beach and restaurants and bars you will find on the passeggiata, a big promenade close to the sea. There are a lot of well-equipped bathing establishments but little free beach. The sea is not beautiful like in other areas of Tuscany, but the beach is very close to the train station.
Forte dei Marmi
Forte dei Marmi, home to many of Italy’s VIP customers, has a pretty beachfront and a city centre with plenty of designer boutiques and gourmet restaurants. This is also the perfect place if you want to have fun with your friends; in the neighborhood there are several famous discothèques, often crowded during the peak of the season. Only an hour and 40 minutes from Florence by train, Forte dei Marmi is one of the most expensive sea destinations of Tuscany.
Castiglioncello is part of the Etruscan Coastline, one of the most fascinating areas of the region. For this reason, it is also called the pearl of the Tyrrhenian Sea. The beach is surrounded by pine woods and hosts several small rocky bays which boast pristine clear water. The train from Florence to Castiglioncello usually takes around one hour and 40 minutes.
Marina di Pisa
Just 20 minutes by car from Pisa, you’ll find three beach options: Tirrenia, Calambrone and, the most known, Marina di Pisa. This last one is particularly adapt for families, because the beach is protected from the open sea by giant rock walls piled to act as barriers — making the experience much more pleasant, especially for those who are traveling with little children.
Livorno is Tuscany’s most important port. You can easily reach it by train (it takes only one hour and a half from Florence) and is also a nice town which deserves to be discovered – from the lovely Terrazza Mascagni to the colored Quartiere La Venezia, from the Aquarium to the Old Fortress just near the port. Along its coast there are several beautiful beaches, like Antignano, mostly frequented by the locals.
This beautiful beach is located in the Etruscan area of Tuscany and is popular for water sports and nature enthusiasts. It is just two hours from Florence by train, and the beach is situated just 700 meters walk from the train station. Near the beach, there is the Rimigliano Natural Park, a beautiful oasis which offers walking itineraries through untouched nature.
If you are looking for a place to hike and snorkel, the best option for you is Buca delle Fate, near the town of Piombino, in the south of Tuscany. The beach is famous for its crystalline water, silence and its stunning views over the Elba island. In the neighborhood there is also the Archaeological Park of Populonia, which is the most beautiful Etruscan Park of Italy.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.