Most travels to Italy are limited to three particular cities – Rome, Florence and Venice. Nevertheless, this country contains a number of stunning towns with curious histories; here are some of the most beautiful worth adding to your itinerary.
Keen to visit Italy but not sure where to go? Take your pick from Culture Trip’s specially curated 10-day Northern Italy trip or our action-packed 10-day Sicily adventure.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With a historic center that’s been declared a Unesco World Heritage Site, the Tuscan city of Siena is situated on three hills. Famous for its 17 contrade, or neighborhoods, who compete in the Palio horse race twice a year in Piazza del Campo – the main square of the city, which is shaped like a shell with scalloped edges. Expect to find beautiful, historic architecture and a uniquely neighborhood vibe. Interested in visiting? You can do so with Culture Trip by joining our specially curated 10-day Northern Italy tour.
Shaped like a star, Palmanova is noted for being the best example of a Renaissance ideal city due to the town being constructed in line with utopian theory – the concentric circles that make up the city represent perfection, as well serve for defense. You will find this town in the southeast Friuli-Giulia, between Udine and Trieste; it will pique the interest of those who are fascinated by unique architecture.
One for those who don’t mind hiking their way to a beautiful view, Riomaggiore never fails to impress with its brightly painted buildings on the cliffs overlooking the Gulf of Genoa. As the first of five villages that make up the Cinque Terre – a stunning section of the Italian Riviera coastline, which features on our 10-day small-group Northern Italy trip – Riomaggiore is the point of departure for those following the trail up and down the La Spezia hills, starting with the famous Via dell’Amore – the path that leads to Manarola.
If you’re looking to get out of the Eternal City, just 75mi (120km) north of Rome you will find Civita di Bagnoregio. Located on the top of a volcanic tuff overlooking the Tiber river valley, the city’s buildings are constantly at risk of crumbling due to the slow erosion of their underlying support, so much so that plans have been formed to insert steel rods into the cliff, preventing further damage to the structures. Due to its location and erosion of the earth, Civita has become known as the “town that is dying”.
Another site on the World Heritage List, Sabbonieta is found in Lombardy, about 19mi (30km) from Parma. The city is considered another brilliant example of Renaissance urban planning theories. Sabbonieta also has a historic Jewish ghetto where tourists go to see a centuries old Hebrew printing press.
Jutting into the skyline, the Asinelli and Garisenda stand tall at the heart of Bologna. Famous for being the home of the first university in Europe, Bologna also offers beautiful sights due to its well preserved historical center and porticoes that serve as roofs for the sidewalks. The Bolognese culture also distinguishes this town from others in Italy; for example, in 2006, Unesco selected Bologna as a “city of music”.
Located in the Salerno province, Positano is a village situated on the Amalfi Coast, with crystal blue waters and cliffs that drop into the sea. Though the town lost some of its liveliness due to emigration, tourists began to discover the beauty of this colourful cliff-top town and revitalized its atmosphere. You can catch a glimpse of Positano in films such as Under the Tuscan Sun.
If you want to see baroque architecture but cannot face the crowds in Florence, then the Pugliese city of Lecce just may be what you are looking for. Known for its sculptures and ceramic production, Lecce is a city whose buildings recount its past, especially its connection with Greek culture, it’s said that the Cretans founded the city.
Formerly known as the ancient Greek city of Akragas, Agrigento is a Sicilian city where you can still see the ruins from the golden age of Ancient Greece. Due to its archaeological legacy, Agrigento has become a popular site for tourists. In particular, there are particularly well preserved temples believed to be attributed to goddesses, Juno Lacinia and Concordia.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.