The birthplace of bolognese sauce is perfect for a food-lover’s pilgrimage, but Bologna has more going for it than meaty pasta. Explore this northern Italian city’s vaulted arcades, museums and basilicas, plus its fantastic eateries.
Well-known the world over for its fabulous food and eponymous pasta sauce, Bologna – the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region – is the perfect destination for experiencing and tasting the real Italy. The red-brick-and-terracotta medieval centre is characterised by porticoes and medieval towers, and is easily explored on foot. Bologna’s university, dating from 1088 and one of the oldest in the world, continues to thrive and contributes to the city’s successful combination of tradition and innovation. Here are the top must-visit attractions in Bologna, Italy.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Widely considered as Italy’s foodie capital, Bologna takes its specialities seriously and over 30 traditional recipes are registered at the Chamber of Commerce, which also keeps a strip of gold the exact dimensions of perfect tagliatelle – 8mm, for your information. Meat-filled tortellini and tagliatelle al ragù – the authentic version of spaghetti bolognese – reign when it comes to pasta. Find out what real bolognese sauce tastes like at informal lunch spot Sfoglia Rina or in the evening at traditional Trattoria Serghei, then try to recreate it when you get home.
With more covered pavements than anywhere else in the world – nearly 24mi (40km) – in Bologna, you’re always protected from the rain or hot sun. These porticoes first began to appear in the 11th century to house the city’s fast-growing university population above the arcades, without occupying extra terrain, and in 1288 a law was passed making them obligatory. While some original medieval wooden porticoes remain, including at Strada Maggiore 19, in Via Marsala and behind the Corona d’Oro Hotel, most are brick or stone, with columns, archways, vaulted ceilings and marble floors.
Produce stalls and food shops have filled this knot of narrow lanes just off Piazza Maggiore with colour and aroma since medieval times. Nowadays, it’s one of Bologna’s most picturesque spots for a snack or meal at the numerous deli-eateries. Don’t miss the Osteria del Sole wine bar which dates from 1465 – only wine is served, but you can bring your own food. For more tasty market bites check out Mercato delle Erbe, the city’s largest covered food market, which is also in the centre.
Since its 2021 makeover, this massive foodie centre just outside the city – hop on bus 35 – has become a kind of theme park dedicated to the origins of food, with fun and educational experiences both for children and adults: think multimedia exhibits, live demonstrations, tastings and cookery classes. There are farm animals and crops, producers of traditional foods and plenty of opportunities for the two most important elements of a trip to Bologna, eating and drinking.
With its compact tangle of cobbled alleys, Bologna’s historic former ghetto district, just round the corner from the Asinelli Tower, is one of the most atmospheric parts of town. Craft workshops sell beautiful handmade items including traditionally made artistic prints and custom shoes, and there’s a Jewish museum and heritage centre. Soak up the atmosphere over an aperitivo at wine bar Camera a Sud.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.