Although primarily known for being a country rich in wine production, Italy produces a significant amount of tasty beer too. Italian beer is going through a change as brewers are struck with the craft beer bug, utilising new hops and reinvigorating old styles. We list some of the best breweries in Italy in which to find some great flavors.
Close to Milan, Birrificio Indipendente Elav is a craft brewery producing natural and high-fermented beers. Explore the reddish amber colored Grunge IPA, with a flavor that is tropical and piney at the same time, or try the Punks Do it Bitter, an award-winning foaming and cloudy pale amber with a smooth taste.
For a great selection of craft beer on tap, check out the community friendly setting of Archea Brewery in Florence. Here, customers will discover a variety of beers that are all full of rich tastes. The hole-in-the-wall setting makes a comfortable place to chat with the knowledgeable and amicable staff who are willing to suggest beers. Tasting is encouraged.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Archea Brewery, via de’serragli 44r, Florence, Italy, +39 055 219 671
Florence is generally hailed as the beer capital of Italy, and the Beer House Club is a fun and quirky place to grab a delicious craft brew, including delightful IPAs and rich stouts. Engage the friendly staff to find out about the beer you’re drinking; they can talk at length about the flavor and quality and also suggest new ones to try here.
Beer House Club, Corso dei tintori 34/r, Florence, Italy, +39 055 247 6763
Crafting new flavors in a variety of beers, the innovative Barley Brewery is tucked away on the island of Sardinia. The refined beers of this brewery gain complexity and depth through a second fermentation once they are bottled, meaning every time a Barely beer is opened, it has a unique flavor. Try Friska, Sella del Diavolo and Toccadibo, three classic year-round beers, or check out the brewery’s array of seasonal beers.
Inspired by traditional and authentic beer brewing traditions, Loverbeer in northern Italy offers many delectable beers, including the Madamin Oak Amber Ale or the D’uvabeer fruit ale. The great beers and friendly atmosphere are both firmly built on the passions of the brewery’s owner for home-brewing.
Loverbeer, Strada Pellinciona, 7, Marentino, TO, Italy, +39 347 3636680
Head to the eastern coast of Italy for a taste of Birra Almond 22’s delicious spread of handcrafted and bottle fermented brews. Visitors to this brewery will discover a unique selection ranging from an Imperial Porter, known as the Boogeyman, to a Pink IPA with an elegant aroma to accompany its bold flavors.
Birrificio Italiano is an award-winning brewery and creator of the aromatic favorite Tripolis, as well as numerous other tasty concoctions that entrance drinkers with the combination of raw, natural and fresh ingredients employed to make these excellent hops drinks.
Birrificio Italiano, Via Marconi 27, Limido Comasco, Italy, +39 031 548 1162
Influenced by the brewing cultures of England and Belgium, Birra del Borgo uses natural and regional ingredients to brew beer in the Italian way. These beers tend to employ the use of unusual ingredients to create brews such as Etrusca, where the fermentation happens in the archaeological setting of an amphora, an item historically was used to hold wine or olive oil. Indulge the senses in the peppery and citrus flavors of the Reale IPA, which has a low carbonation and a wonderful amber hue in the glass.
Birra Baladin’s beer follows the life and travels of Teo Musso, the master brewer who tries to capture the flavors of Italy and Morocco. When only just a brewpub, Baladin was already fostering its love for good music, which now plays a key role in creating the community atmosphere visitors will encounter.
Birra Baladin, Farigliano (CN), Prella, 60, Italy, +39 0173.778013
Birrificio di Montegioco bears the strong belief that there is a right taste for every person. This brewery uses a natural maturation method that takes a little longer to create beer. However, the result is a fantastic variety of flavors. Try the Runa, which has a mix of orange blossom and apricot, or Rat Weizen, styled after Bavarian beer and made with 30% malted wheat that gives a nice golden hue.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.