With a history dating back to 14th century Italy, Calcio Storico Fiorentino is an old form of football that has survived the test of time. With games taking place every year in June in Florence, Aalia Ahmed investigates this historical and somewhat brutal sport.
Every year in June thousands of people gather in one of Florence’s most famous piazzas to witness the historic sporting battle of the ‘Calcio Storico Fiorentino’. Since the earliest recordings of the game’s existence in the 14th century, the giuoco del calcio fiorentino continues to be played in the same arena that gave birth to it over seven hundred years ago: the piazza of Santa Croce.
During the Italian Renaissance the piazza of Santa Croce was host to a number of important and significant events including the wedding of Lorenzo the Magnificent, as well as serving as the ground upon which great preachers, such as Bernadino of Siena, held their compelling sermons. It is truly a spectacular, and somewhat ironic, sight to see this humble, stony ground that is watched over by the magnificent statue of a pensive Dante transform into what resembles a gladiatorial arena. With the carpet of sand covering every inch of the pavement and the robust iron cages that separate the spectators from the players, this event seems to be miles away from the refined and graceful football we know today. The hallowed ground of the church of Santa Croce – which houses the tombs of some of the most illustrious Italians such as Michelangelo, Rossini, Machiavelli and Galileo – becomes the passive host of one of the most brutal sports of modern times.
Each game is made into an extraordinary exhibition where brightly costumed dignitaries on horseback, trumpet fanfares, marching drums and flag-throwers gather in the arena before the match begins. Shortly after the fabulous display of pageantry the players enter the battleground donning their historic team colours to begin the 50 minute sporting warfare. There are four teams in total made up of 27 men, and each team represents one of the four quarters of the city: the Azzurri for Santa Croce (Blue), the Rossi for Santa Maria Novella (Red), the Bianchi for Santo Spirito (White), and the Verdi for San Giovanni (Green). To win, the players must get the ball over the four foot fence at either end of the pitch. To achieve this, the players are permitted to use both their hands and feet to assist them in their various means and methods of attack. The general sight is one of players diving, wrestling, punching, head-butting and choking in a whirr of sand, sweat and blood. However, when a goal is finally scored it is hailed by canon fire which is greeted with a tremendous roar from the frenzied crowd.
After battling it out against one another in the two opening games, the two teams that are victorious proceed to the final, which occurs each year on St. John’s Day on the 24th of June. Indeed, it is remarkable that such an astounding sport has managed to survive the test of time. Every year the event still attracts tourists from all over the world, providing them with a unique opportunity to look through this window of time back into an excessively dark and physical past that remains, nonetheless, exhilarating.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.