If you’re looking for a new city to relocate to, these 8 reasons will persuade you that Copenhagen should be at the top of your list.
You’ll learn to get everywhere on a bike
Copenhagen isn’t just a cycle city. It’s the only town where bikes outnumber cars and there is actually a bike traffic problem now. Living in a city in which inhabitants use more bikes than cars will definitely make biking a part of your daily life. Even those who aren’t used to moving around on two wheels rarely take the bus or train after a few months of living here. Soon enough, they realise that biking is faster and much more fun, and it’s definitely one of the things they miss most when they leave Denmark.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You’ll mingle with people from all over the globe
Over the past few years, more and more people from all over the world have relocated to Denmark for work or studies. Copenhagen is on the top of the list for foreigners who want to spend a few months (or even years) in Scandinavia’s coolest country, which is why it has become a multicultural city. That means that if you live in Copenhagen even for a short term, you’ll intermingle with people from all around the globe, which will give you the chance to interact with new cultures and learn how to cooperate with people from different backgrounds.
You’ll experience a real winter
This one is especially for winter lovers: for those who can’t imagine Christmas time without snow and don’t mind it much when temperatures sink below zero (after all, it’s a good excuse to cuddle up at home), you’ll enjoy this city in the winter. Even though the Danish winter is long, and sometimes not even locals can deal with the cold and darkness, those who know how to make the most of it will certainly enjoy their stay in Copenhagen.
You’ll enjoy a high quality of life in every aspect
Recently, a survey showed the Danes are the top nation when it comes to work-leisure balance. It’s widely known that Denmark offers a high quality of life due to many reasons. First of all, the working conditions are among the best in the world: salaries are high and the welfare system doesn’t only support locals but foreigners as well. Secondly, Copenhagen is a city in which living is easy when it comes to life’s daily issues. For example, everyone speaks English, there are 24-hour buses and metro lines, making commuting even after midnight super easy, and the crime rate is low. So, in general, everyday struggles are less in comparison to other cities in Europe.
You’ll learn a thing or two about fashion and design
Fashionistas will definitely fall in love with Copenhagen, not only because there are many famous designer clothing boutiques all over town, but also because they can draw inspiration from the style of locals. Danes know fashion and you can see this in almost every person walking down the street. Whether it’s from high-end stores or second-hand shops, the garments of Danes are usually super elegant and stylish. For those who love Scandinavian design, it’s not necessary to say much in order to persuade them that Copenhagen is the city to live in – it’s home to some of the most renowned interior designers and there are numerous design shops.
You’ll experience many cultural events
Copenhagen brims with cultural events that take place throughout the year. With so many music, film and art festivals, no one is ever bored in the capital of Denmark. The city’s strong culture scene makes it one of the most interesting capitals in Scandinavia to relocate to. Plus, some of Europe’s largest music festivals, like Roskilde and Copenhell, take place here, attracting people from all over the world who travel to Denmark just to attend these big music events.
You’ll taste the New Nordic Cuisine from experts’ hands
New Nordic Cuisine has become a trend in several countries around the world, giving the chance to foodies to explore the reinvented Danish cuisine in restaurants serving only Danish dishes. Needless to say, there isn’t a better place to live this authentic food experience than the city where it was actually born. Aside from the renowned Michelin-starred restaurants, Copenhagen is also filled with cozy, local dining places that serve dishes inspired by the country’s traditional and new cuisine.
You’ll be in one of the safest cities in the world
Ranked 5th on the most recent Global Peace Index of the safest countries in the world, Denmark is definitely a place that will make you feel secure. Therefore, many choose to relocate to this small Scandinavian country in order to raise their children. Seeing locals leaving their baby strollers (with their kids fastened inside) outside cafes or shops while they’re meeting friends or buying groceries, certainly makes foreigners feel like they’ve come to the right country. Of course, there are things like stealing or pick pocketing (and there have been several shooting incidents between gangs in Nørrebro) but, in general, the crime rate is very low.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.