This list was made for those who feel like visiting the city’s most well-known restaurants sounds deadly dull and strolling down the busiest shopping streets seems like drudgery. Here are some ways to get off of the beaten path, blend in with the locals, and become a ”Copenhagen expert”.
Ride a Bike
First and foremost, exploring Copenhagen by bike is a must to be considered an expert. Period. Denmark is flat for the most part, has great infrastructure, and cycle routes all over the country. It has one of the strongest biking cultures worldwide and locals use their beloved two-wheel vehicle to such an extent that Copenhagen now faces a bike-traffic problem. There isn’t even a corner in Copenhagen that can’t be reached by bike, so don’t miss the chance to enjoy endless rides in one of the cities most ideal for cycling.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Even though there are many parks all over Copenhagen, many locals choose to hang out at Dronning Louises Bro, the bridge that connects the city center to Nørrebro. Standing between two lakes, the 16th-century bridge is one of the most beautiful spots in the city. On a sunny day, people eat their lunch, enjoy a bottle of sparkling wine, or read accompanied by the sound of music coming either from a street musician or a group of friends rocking a boombox.
Shop at Flea Markets and Secondhand Stores
Copenhagen is like paradise for fashionistas and design lovers. It has many elegant shops selling Scandinavian-design furniture and interior-design items as well as stylish boutiques filled with the collections of Danes and other Scandinavian-fashion designers. However, one of the locals’ favorite habits is hitting the city’s flea markets and vintage shops. Especially during summertime, the city is filled with stands packed with everything from knickknacks and Danish Royal Porcelain to famous-brands clothes and accessories.
Party in the Meatpacking District
The Meatpacking District attracts the hippest crowd of the city and has so many different styles of restaurants and bars that everyone will surely find something to suit their taste. From Tommi’s Burger Joint‘s cozy corner to BOB Bistro’s organic menu and NOHO’s ice-chilled cocktails, the trendy district offers plenty of choices for both a relaxed morning walk and a crazy night out.
Tommi’s Burger Joint, Høkerboderne 21-23, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 31 34 34
BOB Bistro, Halmtorvet 19, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 31 20 00
NOHO, Flæsketorvet 28, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 71 99 59 90
Go to a Bodega
Copenhagen has many cool neighborhoods that brim with bars and nightclubs of all tastes. Experience a night out like a proper local make sure to drink one last beer at one of the city’s bodegas. The smoky bars usually have a jukebox and a fruit machine that add to the places’ offbeat atmosphere. Plus, the drinks are super cheap. Find beer for 20DKK (€2.69) ($3)—for Copenhagen’s standards, this is just about the least expensive option out there.
It would be an oversight to not visit Louisiana Museum while visiting Copenhagen. Not only is it one of the most interesting museums in Denmark, its special location by the Øresund Coast offers a great view of the Scandinavian landscape. The modern-art museum displays unique artworks by Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Pablo Picasso, Wassily Kandinsky, and many Danish-modernist artists.
Barbecue at the Park
Follow locals’ lead and spend a warm sunny day at one of the city’s blossomed parks with a six pack of beer and a disposable-charcoal barbecue. It’s cheap, fun, and a good chance to soak up some sun. Luckily, Copenhagen has many places to choose from. Some of the locals’ favorite hangouts are Fælledparken, Nørrebroparken, Ørstedsparken, and Frederiksberg Garden.
Taste Jægersborggade’s Organic Beverages
Jægersborggade is a colorful-scenic street in the heart of Nørrebro. It brims with tattoo studios, art galleries, organic restaurants, and cafés. It’s undoubtedly the city’s hip(ster)-crowd favorite. Relæ, the first restaurant that opened in the neighborhood, continues to serve organic delicacies to its customers. For a tasty coffee, check out The Coffee Collective, and Grød is the place for those looking for a healthy breakfast with organic porridge.
Restaurant Relae, Jægersborggade 41, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 36 96 66 09
The Coffee Collective Jægersborggade 57, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 60 15 15 25
Grød, Jægersborggade 50, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 50 58 55 79
Eat Copenhagen’s Famous Hot Dogs From a Street Stand
Tourists won’t have a real taste of Copenhagen’s food without tasting Denmark’s famous pølser(sausages). There are many stands all over the city—especially near Central metro stations such as Nørreport or Christiania—selling fares ranging from the traditional red, boiled-pork sausage (rød pølse) to organic hot dogs. Hot dogs are perhaps the locals’ favorite delicacy, one visitors definitely do not want to miss out on.
Brunch at Blågårdsgade
Blågårdsgade is one of the most picturesque streets in Copenhagen, and it’s widely known for its cozy cafés and bars. The pedestrianized alley is located in Nørrebro and is among locals’ top choices for brunch. Long wooden tables placed along the street are usually packed no matter the time of day. Most bars stay open until midnight, so it’s also a great place for some early drinks.
Visit at Least One Jazz Bar
Even though most people are not aware of this fact, Denmark has a long history of jazz music that goes back in the early 20th century. In 1924, the first Danish-jazz record labels were created. Danes still keep the jazz-music scene alive with many concerts and jam sessions taking place in Copenhagen’s jazz bars and music venues. Most of them are located in the city center and fill the streets with magical tunes until late at night. La Fontaine, Hvide Lam, JazzHus Montmartre, and Jazz Cup are some of the most famous.
La Fontaine, Kompagnistræde 11, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 11 60 98
Cafe Hvide Lam, Kultorvet 5, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 32 00 33
Jazzhus Montmartre, Store Regnegade 19A, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 31 72 34 94
Jazz Cup, Gothersgade 107, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 33 87 40
Explore Christiania’s Hidden Corners
Freetown Christiania is one of the most touristy attractions in Copenhagen. Unfortunately, it has become known for its open cannabis trade that takes place on Pusher Street. However, the hippie district has much more to offer to its visitors. Make sure to stroll around the neighborhoods and rummage at the small shops and stands. Taste the coconut cake from Sunshine Bakery, indulge in a warm coffee at Cafe Månefiskeren, walk around the lake, drink a beer at Woodstock—the neighborhood’s oldest bar—and check out Loppen for concerts.
Café Månefiskeren, Bådsmandsstræde 43, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 32 57 14 56
Loppen, Sydområdet 4B, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 32 57 84 22
There are many places in Copenhagen serving all kinds of burgers: the traditional burger, with organic meat, gluten-free bread, veggie burgers, and more. But only one offers the original American style burger: the Gasoline Grill. From the day it opened its doors for the first time in April 2016, it became an instant success and burger lovers’ favorite place. Don’t expect to find a stylish restaurant but a long queue that stretches in front of a gas station instead.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.