Being home to Noma, the world’s best restaurant and the place where the new Nordic cuisine movement was born, Copenhagen is unquestionably one of the top destinations for foodies. Aside from a long list of Michelin-starred restaurants, the city offers many unique experiences for a more proper insight into Denmark’s culinary scene and this list has it all.
Meet some of the most renowned chefs and watch them do their magic
Foodies and Nordic cuisine lovers should definitely plan a trip to Copenhagen in the period the Cooking and Food Festival is taking place. That means sometime at the end of August. With 100 events taking place during 10 days, gastronomy lovers will have the chance to learn all they need to know about the new Nordic cuisine movement, meet renowned chefs, as well as taste the best of the Danish dishes. The most dedicated foodies should sign up to volunteer, as they will have the opportunity to gain a deeper insight into Denmark’s culinary scene.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Learn how to make smørrebrød
Discover the secrets of the traditional and new Nordic cuisine by taking a cooking class with local experts. Learn how to make your own traditional smørrebrød, the popular Danish pastries, or prepare a full dinner with new Nordic cuisine dishes at one of CPH Cooking Class courses. After taking these classes you’ll be able to enjoy Danish delicacies even after you’ve returned back home and bring a bit of Scandinavian culture in your own kitchen.
Dine with a local
There isn’t a better way to learn a country’s culture and food traditions than through a local’s kitchen. But unless you already have a Dane friend before visiting Copenhagen, making one and having them invite you to their place while you’re traveling in the country is rather unlikely. Luckily, there is Meet The Danes, the organization that brings locals and tourists together for a hyggelig dinner. Guests only have to sign up and the people behind Meet The Danes will find a host that will prepare a traditional homemade dinner for them.
Torvehallerne isn’t a huge market but each one of the food stalls you’ll find there are carefully selected and their owners make sure to always bring the best of quality and taste to their guests’ dishes. The famous market in Copenhagen’s city center has more than 60 stalls with fresh ingredients and cooked delicacies from the national and international cuisine. A French Bakery, a Bolivian restaurant, a Spanish Bodega, and a Chinese store are only some of the shops you’ll find in the indoor market. Wooden tables are set at the pedestrianized area around the market and as soon as the sun comes out locals make sure to grab a seat and indulge in one of the market’s delicacies, an ice-chilled cocktail or warm cup of coffee.
Torvehallerne, Frederiksborggade 21, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 70 10 60 70
There are plenty of organic farms that also prepare and serve dishes made of their fresh ingredients but GroSpiseri in Østerbro district offers a really unique experience. The reason is that its fruits and vegetables grow in an urban garden on the rooftop of Copenhagen’s oldest car auction house. On the same rooftop stands the cozy restaurant where experienced chefs prepare super tasty seasonal and organic meals, inviting locals and tourists for a relaxed dinner.
Visiting Denmark and not tasting the local beers is like exploring Copenhagen and forgetting to see the Little Mermaid. It simply can not be done. Copenhagen has plenty of bars and all of them serve locals’ favorite drinks. But for beer geeks who want to gain a real insight in how Danes manage to make delicious beer, a bar crawl may not be enough. A brewery tour, on the other hand, is what they need. No, we don’t mean in Carlsberg’s factory. BrewPub København, a microbrewery housed in a 17th building in the city center, offers 45-minute brewery and beer tasting tours, offering guests the chance to see how the different styles of beer are made.
BrewPub Copenhagen, Vestergade 29, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 33 32 00 60
Take a food tour
A food tour around Copenhagen is a great way to discover the New Nordic Cuisine and taste traditional Danish dishes without struggling to find the city’s best restaurants by yourself. Copenhagen Food Tours offers two kinds of tours (and a special one for Christmas) presenting the different gastronomy sides of Copenhagen. The four-hour Culinary Experience tour is for those who want to discover the city’s food markets, taste the popular Danish hotdogs from the street stalls and try the traditional smørrebrød. Lovers of the New Nordic Cuisine should take the West End Gourmet Tour, which takes place in Vesterbro, Copenhagen’s hip neighborhood, and the Meatpacking District, the cool district with the industrial style restaurants and bars.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.