No matter what your taste in music is or when you’re planning to visit Copenhagen, the city’s festival scene has got everything covered. Concerts, music events and week-long festivals take place in Copenhagen all year round, with summer being the busiest season. Whether you prefer camping out on the open air to hear your favourite band play or enjoy a drink in a cozy music venue, this guide is for you.
Every year during the first days of July, Copenhagen looks like a ghost city. Locals pack their festival gear and head towards Roskilde festival for 8 days filled with music, partying and events. Hosting musicians from all around the world since 1971, Roskilde festival has now established its reputation and is considered the greatest culture and music festival in Northern Europe. More than 180 bands take the stage from morning to night, entertaining a crowd of more than 100,000 people. If the ticket seems a little pricey, volunteering is always an option. Being a non-profit organization Roskilde is run by approximately 30,000 volunteers.
Copenhell is well known among rock and metal music fans not only in Scandinavia but all over Europe, and not without a reason. The three-days festival was organised for the first time just seven years ago, but it has already hosted noteworthy artists from all over the world. It takes place by Copenhagen’s harbour at Refshaleøen island, just 10 minutes biking from the city centre. With three stages introducing established as well as up-and-coming artists, a lot of beer and a massive crowd headbanging on the heavy sounds, Copenhell is the place to be for every metal fan.
Copenhell Festival, Refshalevej 183, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 352 541 00
The combination of peculiar light installations and music performances in bizarre places around the city makes Frost Festival one of a kind. Empty swimming pools, abandoned aquariums, the botanical gardens and a number of museums, churches and historical buildings are only some of the venues Frost Festival has chosen to welcome its guests. Taking place during one of the darkest months of the year, Frost festival literally sheds some light on Copenhagen’s long winter with shows that cover a wide range of musical genres, satisfying audiences of all tastes.
How does the idea of a festival that takes place in your neighbourhood sound? Visit Copenhagen during June and find out. Every year for four days the city is transformed into a huge street party. Music stages and DJ booths are set in every corner of Nørrebro and Vesterbro, city’s coolest neighbourhoods, and sounds of electronic, reggae and dub fill the air. When the street parties end late at night, famous DJs from the international scene take the reins until early morning, entertaining the crowds at the city’s best nightclubs. It is not without reason that Distortion is the event of the city that every Copenhagener talks about as soon as the summer begins.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stella Polaris is a one-day music festival that every electronic music fan should attend. Taking place in the heart of the summer at Frederiksberg Have, one of the largest parks in Copenhagen, the festival’s line-up is not the only reason locals love it. Every year around 6,000 people gather at one of the nicest parks in the city to listen to their favourite artists, dance or just chill on the grass creating a unique festive atmosphere that no one should miss.
Strøm festival entered Copenhagen’s festival scene in 2007, and ever since then it has hosted numerous artists from the national and international electronic scene. Running master classes, artist talks and electronic music workshops for eight days, the people behind Strøm festival aspire to unite and amplify the Danish electronic music scene, while at the same time promoting electronic music culture in Denmark.
Strøm festival, Enghavevej 80, Copenhagen, Denmark, +45 267 556 20
With more than 500 jazz concerts in venues all over the city, locals have a reason to look forward to February. The nationwide Winter Jazz Festival lasts for three weeks and hosts a broad range of international and national artists, signifying the start of the new season for most jazz clubs and venues.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.