Dominical is a beach-front town on the central Pacific coast of Costa Rica. It is renowned for its consistent surf, small-town vibes, picturesque aesthetic, and easy accessibility to numerous national parks, further beaches, waterfalls, nature tours, and adventure activities. You can easily do something different every day when you are in Dominical.
Dominical is notably popular for its surf. There are several breaks in the area, including an expansive beach break right in front of the main part of town. While the surf can get very big and powerful here, on days when there isn’t much swell, this is a good place to learn how to surf. There are several surf camps and lessons options for those who want to learn to surf or improve their technique with a local guide.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Shop along the beach
Running parallel to the ocean is a lovely cobblestone road, lined with independent artisans and vendors. The street is shaded by towering palm trees, which makes this experience all the more pleasant. This is a fantastic way to shop for unique souvenirs, while also being by the sea and close to a number of restaurants and bars.
Watch some whales
Just a short drive to the south of Dominical is the Marino Ballena (whale) National Park. Coincidentally, the main beach which is part of this marine park is shaped like a giant whale’s tail. This is one of the best places in the country to go whale watching, as humpback whales migrate north to south and south to north throughout the year passing through this area. The Pacific coast of Costa Rica has one of the longest whale migration periods since both northern and southern whales visit the waters off the coast here. A whale watching tour is an amazing way to spend the day at sea and likely observing some of Costa Rica’s incredible marine species.
Visit a valley of waterfalls
Close to Playa Dominical is a valley that is host to multiple exquisite waterfalls, including one of Costa Rica’s most famous, the Nauyaca waterfall. Off the beach, the landscape becomes dense tropical rainforest. You can either hike or take a horseback riding tour to the fall. There are plenty of natural swimming pools and endless opportunities for unique wildlife encounters during your day in the jungle.
Pick a national park
Dominical is centrally located and a perfect starting point to visit some of the surrounding national parks. A visit to Manuel Antonio National Park, Carara National Park, Corcovado National Park, Chirripó National Park, Marino Ballena National Park, and Piedras Blanca National Park are all do-able as day trips from Dominical. You’re spoilt for choice.
Explore a mangrove forest
The Sierpe Mangrove forest is the largest of its kind in Central America and lies not that far away from Dominical. This important ecosystem is home to an abundance of wildlife. There are three ways to explore. You can take a guided boat tour, kayak, or paddle board through the mangrove forest. You will likely see crocodiles, monkeys, and a lot of beautiful birds, among other fascinating animal species.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.