Costa Rica‘s Manuel Antonio National Park, close to Quepos in the province of Puntarenas, is one of the most biodiverse national parks in the world. If you want to see monkeys, sloths, vibrant macaws in their lush natural habit and experience the most beautiful beaches in the country, take a look at our guide to this must-visit destination.
A brief introduction
Manuel Antonio National Park was established in 1972. It is Costa Rica’s smallest national park, covering 683 hectares (1,700 acres) of protected land and 55,000 hectares (136,000 acres) of protected marine territory, and comprises tropical forests, mangrove forests, lagoons, pristine beaches, and vibrant reefs. There are 109 species of mammals and 184 species of birds, as well as an abundance of amphibians, reptiles, and marine species that call Manuel Antonio home. There are also 12 isles off of the coast that are frequently passed by migrating whales and dolphins.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Planning a visit
The park is open from Tuesday to Saturday, from 7.30am-4pm. If you are looking to avoid the crowds, visiting the park between May and November and early in the morning is your best bet. There is a $16 park admission fee (children under 12 are free) if you want to explore the park without a naturalist guide – though if you’re visiting for the first time, their wealth of information about the local flora and fauna can shed a whole new light on the experience.
Take a tour
The best way to experience the park is by taking a 2 1/2-3 hour guided nature tour and hike. You can join a tour at the entrance to the park – group tours cost $51 for adults and $33 for children, while private tours are $71 for a adults and $55 for children. The tour guides employed by the park are professional and highly experienced naturalists who will be able to point out animals and plants that you may miss if visiting on your own. They will also be able to share fascinating information regarding the wildlife, plant life, and history of the park.
If you opt to explore solo, there are two main trails through the park that are well-marked and well-maintained. The main trail is 2km (1.3 miles) long and is a flat and easy hiking path that takes you through the park and out to the beaches. The second trail is a 1.5km (0.9 mile) loop that is a bit more challenging, with steep inclines in parts. Both trails offer an opportunity to spot wildlife amid the mesmerizing beauty of the park. Keep your eyes peel for sloths in particular, as they are known to be perfectly camouflaged amid the trees.
Relax on the beach
There are four beaches in the national park that are said to be the most beautiful and picturesque in all of Costa Rica: Playa Manuel Antonio (the main beach, a 30-minute hike from the entrance to the park), Playa Espadilla Sur, Escondito, and Playita. There is something incredibly surreal and magical about emerging from the rainforest onto a pristine protected beach – pack a picnic and spend the afternoon swimming, snorkeling, or surfing.
Explore the protected marine territory
The are multiple different ways to explore underwater, with fantastic snorkeling and diving tours, ocean kayaking, mangrove boat tours, and sailing excursions. The waters around Manuel Antonio are teeming with marine wildlife – it is quite common to spot whales, dolphins, and sea turtles too.
Hop over to Damas Island
While you are in the area, try the highly recommended Damas Island mangrove boat trip. You can either go by small motorized boat, or you can kayak there. Cruise slowly through the waterways that cut through the mangrove forests, surrounded by the peaceful embrace of nature, and take in sights including monkeys, sloths, and crocodiles. The tour leaves from Quepos, allowing time enough on the journey to the island for an informative low-down from your guide on the city’s facinating culture and history.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.