There is nothing quite like the primal roar of a waterfall. The sheer magnitude and power of a great waterfall will inspire jaws to drop in awe. The surrounding air will be laced with cool mist and the call to jump in the pool beneath for a swim will be strong, especially after the beautiful jungle trek down. The journey through the rainforest is equally as rewarding as the end prize. Costa Rica has several famous waterfalls that are definitely worth the visit. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
La Fortuna Waterfall
The La Fortuna Waterfall is a picturesque cascade at the base of the dormant Chato volcano and flows with deafening force in the midst of a dense tropical rainforest. The Tenorio River feeds this massive waterfall. Water falls unbroken for 230 feet into a serene blue-green pool at the bottom. Visitors can hike down to the falls via a 15-minute trek on a manmade jungle staircase. The forest is bursting with every shade of green and a lot of fascinating wildlife, if you just keep your eyes and ears open.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are two levels to the Nauyaca Waterfall, which is part of why it is such an impressive sight to see. The top waterfall drops 200 feet into the first pool, which then flows over the second tier into the bottom pool. Talk about perfect swimming holes! Visitors have the option of hiking a well-maintained trail for about an hour to the falls, or travel via horseback with a professional guide. The trek through the rainforest is spectacular in and of itself. Keep your eyes peeled for monkeys and a large variety of birds, such as the tiny, but colorful hummingbird.
Rio Celeste Waterfall
Rio Celeste is a place of dreams. The iridescent turquoise water looks like some sort of healing elixir brewed up by a wizard; it’s really that unreal. In reality though, the water gets its color from a chemical reaction between volcanic and rainforest minerals. The Rio Celeste Waterfall is part of the Tenorio Volcano National Park and can be accessed by embarking on a visually and audibly captivating two-hour hike. Unfortunately, swimming is prohibited, but the sheer beauty of the experience on land will make up for not being able to get into the water.
Outside of the small bohemian-esque beach town of Montezuma on the tip of the South Nicoya Peninsula is a 20-minute access trail to the three Montezuma waterfalls. Be sure to wear non-slip shoes, as the hike has parts that can be slippy. The first fall appears pretty early on in the hike, but it is definitely worth marching on to the other two. The second waterfall has a great swimming hole at the base. For those who are more dare devilish there is a spot to jump from the waterfall into the water reservoir.
La Paz Waterfall
A visit to the La Paz Waterfall, which is part of a privately-owned ecological park, is an exciting, all day affair. Aside from the fact that the waterfall is beautifully nestled into a patch of vibrant rainforest situated north of San José, visitors can also take several other nature walks and visit the rescue wildlife preserve. The preserve has over 100 species and contains a butterfly and hummingbird garden, a serpentarium, and a frog exhibit. This is a unique opportunity to witness an array of Costa Rica’s incredible wildlife all in one convenient and stunning setting.
Catarata del Toro
La Catarata del Toro is a mammoth waterfall located in the heart of an enveloping cloud forest. The waterfall can be easily accessed from El Silencio Lodge and Spa, which is highly recommended as the lodge is an attraction in and of itself. The cascade falls unbroken for 300 feet. There is not typically a crowd here, so visitors are more likely to have unique wildlife encounters. A trip to the Catarata del Toro waterfall will surely be a memorable and picture worthy one.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.