There are certain activities and places that most likely come to mind when you think about Costa Rica, and surfing is probably one of them. Costa Rica has long been a premier surfing destination for intermediate to experienced surfers. The country has also gained a reputation for being a great location for beginner surfers and for those interested in attending a surf camp or retreat; there are waves for every level in Costa Rica.
Iguana Surf Camp
Iguana Surf Camp is located in the famous surf town of Tamarindo. With rave reviews and a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, Iguana Surf Camp is a top choice if you’re interested in attending camp in Tamarindo. Tamarindo is a perfect beach if you want to learn how to surf, or to take your surfing to the next level. Iguana Surf Camp has three different camp options: a three-, five-, or seven-day camp without accommodation, a 10-day camp with luxury condo accommodation, or a surf and stay at Iguana Surf camp package. All three options include unlimited board rentals, daily surf instruction, and video and photo analysis.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Del Mar Surf Camp
Del Mar Surf Camp was originally just for women, but is now open to anyone who is interested in learning to surf or improving their surfing skills. Del Mar has a CST (Certificate of Sustainable Tourism) and is approved by the Costa Rican Tourism Board. Maria Del Mar started Del Mar Surf Camp in 2001 to share her passion for the sport and for the beauty of Costa Rica. It was the first surf camp in the country to be run by a Costa Rican woman. This camp is located in Nosara; she has another one in Popoyo, Nicaragua. You can choose from a surf and yoga camp, a surf and Spanish camp, a surf and pilates camp, or a customized surf package.
Surf Bikini Retreat
Surf Bikini Retreat is an all-female (and that includes the instructors) surf retreat in Costa Rica’s wellness capital, Playa Guiones, Nosara. During the week-long retreat, you will receive a minimum of 18 hours of professional surf instruction and guidance. The instructors provide demonstrations and feedback to help you learn and progress. Surf Bikini takes only eight surfers a week, so you can be assured that your experience will be highly personalized. You will stay in one of four cozy cabinas and have access to yoga lessons, wifi, a swimming pool, and beautiful mountain views.
La Point Surf Camp
La Point offers surf camps in seven different locations around the globe. The Costa Rica surf camp is located in Santa Teresa, which is another famous surf destination. There are three different levels of surf camp, depending on your experience. Your days will be spent surfing, eating amazing and replenishing meals, exploring the beautiful surrounding areas, and taking yoga classes.
Peaks n’ Swells Surf Camp
Peaks n’ Swells offer family surf camps, classic surf camps, women-only surf camps, and customized camps. They are located just a short walk away from the bohemian surf town of Montezuma. There are multiple different breaks in the area for different levels of surfer. The closest break to the camp, Playa Grande, is the best spot for beginners. Camps include beachfront accommodation, a coach for every two students, professional photography for the week, daily yoga sessions, happy hour, transportation, meals, and surfboard rentals.
Anamaya Soul Surfer Retreat
Anamaya offers a soul-surfer yoga retreat in the beautiful beach town of Montezuma. This retreat is suitable for both complete beginners and seasoned surfers. What better way to spend a week than in a tropical paradise doing both yoga and surfing? The package includes your accommodation, 10 yoga classes, five surf lessons, board rentals, a cooking class, a beach bonfire excursion, a waterfall hike, dance lesson, and a circus performance.
Green Iguana Surf Camp
Green Iguana Surf Camp is a long-standing and highly revered surf camp in Playa Dominical. The waves in this part of Costa Rica are some of the most consistent in the country, which makes it an excellent choice for a surf camp. Green Iguana Surf Camp is budget-oriented, but offers comfortable accommodation, professional instructors, and a great atmosphere and vibe. Instructors are all CPR-certified, trained lifeguards, and bilingual. The surf camp package includes charming accommodation, daily surf lessons, transportation, surf adventures to different breaks, a photo session, all of your gear, and multiple adventure tours and activities.
Witch’s Rock Surf Camp
Witch’s Rock Surf Camp in an all-inclusive surf camp in Tamarindo. They have taught people from all over the world to surf, and many guests return year after year. You will stay in their beachfront hotel, which also has a coffee shop, restaurant, surf shop, and bar. Your package will include airport transportation, accommodation, surfboard rental, surf lessons with a bilingual lifeguard and ISA trained instructors, classroom seminars, and breakfast. Your camp will be customized to your surfing experience and level.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.