Costa Rica’s marine territory is nearly ten times bigger than its terrestrial territory. Like the land ecosystems, the marine ecosystems in Costa Rica are hosts to an incredible diversity of both permanent and migratory species. There are marine migrations taking place right under the surface (and sometimes above it) all year long on both sides of Costa Rica. If you are lucky enough, you might be able to observe some of these spectacular animals as they arrive, settle in for a while, or depart from Costa Rica.
Humpback whales are Costa Rica’s most commonly spotted whale. Because there are pods that migrate from both the Southern Hemisphere and the Northern Hemisphere, a population of humpback whales is almost always present somewhere in Costa Rica. The best months however are from August to April. These mammoth creatures are some of the most acrobatic of the large whales, which makes them even more fascinating to observe. Females travel to the tropical waters of Costa Rica to give birth, so it is not unlikely to see a mom and baby together.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The best way to observe these ocean giants is by taking a whale watching boat tour or just by keeping your eyes peeled when you are out on a boat in Costa Rica (maybe on a dive, surf, sailing, or fishing trip). The best places to see them though are within the Ballena National Marine Park in Uvita, off Isla de Cano or Isla de Coco, or in the Golfo Dulce or Golfo Papagayo. They could pop up anywhere along the Pacific coast though!
The scalloped hammerhead shark is an iconic marine figure in Costa Rica’s rich natural history. The ancient fish that has existed for 450 million years is one that few people will ever encounter. Cocos Island is a famous scalloped hammerhead shark habitat and also a dream diving destination. There are twenty different diving spots that are also home to reef, Galapagos, silky, tiger, guitar, black tip, and silver tip sharks. Bajo Alcyone is the ultimate hammerhead shark diving spot though.
In order to spend time diving with hammerhead sharks at Cocos Island, you will need to be an experienced diver who is willing to venture out on a ten-day live aboard dive mission. The best time of the year to see the hammerhead sharks are actually during the rainy season months, June to December. During this time of the year, there are nutrient rich upwellings that attract large numbers of fish, including whale sharks and manta rays.
Olive Ridley sea turtles
During the rainy season months between August and December, thousands upon thousands of Olive Ridley sea turtles come back to the beach from which they once hatched in order to lay their eggs. The beach is Playa Ostional, which is also a protected wildlife refuge north of Nosara. A week before the new moon is when the arribadas (synchronized mass arrivals) are at their greatest. While turtles nest on this beach year-round, if you want to witness one of the most spectacular congregations of Olive Ridley sea turtles, time your arrival with the new moon and rainy months. Hatchlings start emerging between 45-54 days after they have been laid in the sand by their mothers.
If you find yourself lucky enough to witness such an event, please stand back and give the turtles plenty of space. Sadly, many people get too close, try and touch or take photos right next to the nesting mothers, and greatly interfere with this special event. If you were giving birth, you wouldn’t want someone you didn’t know all up in your personal space. Step back and just observe this beautiful act of nature.
Leatherback sea turtles
The leatherback turtle is a massive sea creature! They can grow as long as six feet and weight up to 1,500 pounds. The leatherback nests on both the Pacific and Caribbean coasts of Costa Rica, but at opposite times of the year. Between October and March, the Las Baulas National Marine Park in Playa Grande is the prime location for leatherback turtle nesting. As many as 800 leatherbacks make their way to this specific beach every season to lay their eggs. All sea turtles will return to the very beach on with they were born. Between March and October, the Tortuguero National Park on the Caribbean coast receives hundreds of leatherback turtles, along with three other sea turtle species, who are there to lay their eggs and then return to the sea in solitude.
Green sea turtles
Tortuguero National Park is one of the best places to see all four types of turtles that show up in Costa Rica, however it is most famous for its nesting population of green sea turtles. Tortuguero is one of the most important green turtle nesting sites in the entire world! Green sea turtles can weight up to 400 pounds and throughout the nesting season can deposit up to 700 eggs on the shores of Tortuguero. The green sea turtle peak nesting season is between July and October. The best way to witness these beautiful giants is by taking a night tour with a professional guide.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.