Kerala is a land that is richly endowed with the best of nature. Be it its fine beaches, gorgeous hills, graceful lagoons or awe-inspiring art and culture, this southern state on the western coast of India has something for every kind of traveller. If you only have five days to spare, here is the ideal itinerary to get you started on your wanderlust-worthy trip to ‘God’s Own Country’. Did you know you can now travel with Culture Trip? Book now and join one of our premium small-group tours to discover the world like never before.
Day 1: Familiarise Yourself With Kerala At Kochi
Arrive in Kerala via Kochi by booking your tickets at the Cochin International Airport. Explore the city of Kochi and its most famous suburb, Fort Kochi, which is a treasure trove of art, culture and history. Begin by leaning all you can about Kerala through a visit to its museums, such as the Kerala Museum, the Kerala Folklore Theatre and Museum, the Hill Palace Museum and the Indo-Portuguese Museum. Move on to Fort Kochi and Mattancherry, where you can explore the Mattancherry Palace, the Paradesi Synagogue, the ancient curios and artifacts at Jew Town and waft through the Spice Bazaar, which is infused with the aromas of spices that have been traded across the world for centuries. Spend the evening watching the sunset at the Chinese Fishing Nets.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Day 2: The Bewitching Hill Station Of Munnar
Travel to Munnar, the land of verdant hills and tea plantations. You can take an early morning bus at 5:20 am from Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) bus station in Kochi, which reaches Munnar by 9:30 am. Visit the Tea Museum, where you can learn all about the picking and processing of tea leaves. Move on to the actual tea plantations that surround the place. Take a trip to Eravikulam National Park to catch a sight of the indigenous Nilgiri Tahr. Head over to the Top Station for magnificent views of the surrounding hills and the villages far below. Don’t forget to buy different varieties of tea and original spices and honey.
Day 3: Idle At The Divine Backwaters Of Alappuzha
Travel to the backwaters of Alappuzha, for which you will have to book a houseboat in advance. Take the 6:20 am bus from Munnar that reaches Alappuzha at 12:50 pm or drive down, which takes a little over five hours. Hop into your houseboat and cruise over the splendid lagoons. Known as the ‘Venice of the East’, the voyage via houseboat will take you through the sights and sounds of everyday village life. Relish in authentic delicacies, such as karimeen fry (pearl spot fish), and the local alcohol, toddy. To extend the experience, stay overnight on the houseboat. This is also an apt break that will give you some rest between your journeys.
Day 4: Saunter Around At The Enticing Varkala Beach
Take the 8:15 am KSRTC bus, which reaches Varkala, the hippie hangout, at noon. Alternatively, driving down will be faster at less than three hours. This is another destination to relax in as you can laze by the famous Varkala Beach, drinking in the superb sights of the admirable cliffs that line it. Indulge in watersports and adventure activities, such as paragliding. Hang out at the cafes on top of the cliffs and catch a beautiful sunset as you bid adieu to the day.
Day 5: Explore History And Culture In Kerala’s Capital, Thiruvananthapuram
At a distance of just 44 kilometres, there are constant buses from Varkala to Thiruvananthapuram that take about two hours to reach, so choose any bus in the morning, according to your convenience. Visit the richest temple in the world, the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple. Move on to the Kuthiramalika Palace (Mansion of Horses), a remnant of the rich royal history of Kerala. Spend the evening at Shankumugham Beach, marvelling at the beautiful sculpture of the mermaid, Sagarakanyaka. Conclude your trip in the capital of Kerala by booking your return flight from Trivandrum International Airport.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.