Kerala is known for its tranquillity with its sedate beaches and smooth backwaters. However, it has a more adventurous side. Lying on the path of the magnificent Western Ghats ranges, Kerala is blessed with some of the most alluring hills which have some of the most enthralling trekking and hiking paths to be found. Here is a selection of seven tracks that will be soul food for the audacious hiker.
Top Station Trek (descent)
About 40km (25 mi.) from Munnar town, towards the direction of Vattavada, lies the most visited tourist spot in Munnar – the Top Station view-point, at 1880m (6170 ft.) above mean sea level (AMSL). It rewards with some of the most mesmerising views of Kottagudi valley and the mist-kissed Kolukkumalai and Meesapulimala peaks. The trek commences from behind the view-point and descends to Kurangani village, passing through Muthuvagudi village at 1175m (3855 ft.) AMSL. The trail is an old tribal path which connected the villages in the mountains with those in the valley.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Trail Distance – 9km (5.6 mi.)
Trail Time – 4 hours (including photo breaks)
Difficulty – DIY Easy
Kolukkumalai Peak Trek (ascent)
Traversing the borders of the states of Tamil Nadu and Kerala, the path to Kolukkumalai peak is one of the most picturesque and frequented hikes in Idukki district. The trail starts from Kurangani village and ends at the peak perched at 2170m (7120 ft.) AMSL. The tracks traverses grasslands, Shola forest patches and, arguably, the highest organic tea garden in the world at 2036m (6680 ft.) AMSL. An early morning start is advised as the mountain slope faces east and the sun will punish you through the 3km stretch of grassland, devoid of any trees but one.
Trail Distance – 11km (6.85 mi.)
Trail Time – 7 hours
Difficulty – DIY Moderate
Meesapulimala Peak Trek (circuit)
At 2640m (8661 ft.) AMSL, Meesapulimala peak is the second highest summit in the Western Ghats mountain range. Prior permission is required from Kerala Forest Development Corporation (KFDC) for treks. The hike starts from Kolukkumalai Tea Estate, which can be reached via jeeps hired from Suryanelli. The last 2km to the top is one of the hardest and most adventurous parts compared to other treks on this list.
Trail Distance – 8km (5 mi.)
Trail Time – 6.5 hours
Difficulty – DIY Difficult – KFDC Permission required
Essentials – Water: 4 litres, healthy snacks, packed lunch
Agasthyarkoodam Peak trek (circuit)
Agasthya Mala with an elevation of 1868m (6130 ft.) AMSL, the highest peak in the south of Kerala, offers a scenic trekking experience outside Idukki district and is one of the most sought after adventure routes. The expedition to the top is allowed based on strict guidelines and is open between January and mid-March. Passes for trek route starting from Bonaccord Picket Station 1 are issued online on first-come-first-serve basis by Kerala Forest & Wildlife Department (KFWD). The dates are announced by KFWD, usually a week before commencement of the season.
Trail Distance – 40km (25 mi.)
Trail Time – 2 days & 1 night – Circuit
Difficulty – Guided with Camping – Difficult – KFWD Pass required
Essentials – Water: 6 litres, meals
Illikkal Kallu is a group of three rocks of unique shapes protruding precariously above Illikkal Mala. Being at a much higher elevation than nearby areas, 1,220m (4,000 ft.) AMSL, this place is infamous for lightning strikes, and is therefore locally called the Kolliyan Para (Lightening Rock) and Sathan Kallu (Devil Stone). Naraka Palam aka Devil’s Bridge, a narrow, slippery ridge, connects the hilltop to the rocks. The rock houses a tiny cave.
Trail Distance – 6km (3.8 mi.)
Trail Time – 4.5 hours – Circuit
Difficulty – DIY Easy
Essentials – Water: 2 litres
The jewel of Wayanad, Chembra, sits at 2,100m (6,890 ft.) AMSL, with the famous heart shaped lake at around 180m (600 ft.) below the peak. Lately, ascents to the peak have been denied permission by forest officials, citing arbitrary reasons. Nevertheless, it is a memorable hike to the lake. Permission for trekking is obtainable at Chembra forest office at the base. A guide tags along during the trek.
Trail Distance – 10km (6.2 mi.)
Trail Time – 6 hours – Circuit
Difficulty – Guided – Moderate – KFWD Pass required
Essentials – Water: 4 litres, snacks, packed lunch
Lion Tailed Macaque trail (circuit)
A forest pathway passing through semi-evergreen and evergreen forests of Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary, Kollam, is a trekker’s delight. The beaten track is a conservation and protection oriented trip organised by the sanctuary to educate tourists on flora and fauna. Troops of Lion-tailed Macacques are commonly seen en route. Gaurs and elephants are often sighted along the trail, which is also abundant in myriad birds, butterflies, and insect species. Trekkers are accompanied by guides and forest guards.
Trail Distance – 18km (11.2 mi.)
Trail Time – 8 hours – Circuit
Difficulty – Guided – Moderate
Essentials – as advised by Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary officials
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.