The geographic terrain of India is rich and diverse, filled with lush green forests, scenic lakes, majestic mountain peaks, mosaics of grasslands, tropical beaches, and vast stretches of wilderness. From east to west, north to south, this South Asian country packs an assortment of treasures for nature lovers. Here is a rundown of some of the most beautiful places where you can be at one with nature.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Want to visit some of the locations we’ve picked out in our list? We’ve got two adventure filled trips to India you won’t want to miss. Join our small-group premium trips and see the best the country has to offer.
Famously known as the ‘Scotland of India’, Coorg is a tiny hill station located in Southern Karnataka in the lap of Western Ghats. This place is irresistible with its lush coffee plantations, stunning landscapes, quaint villages, refreshing weather, cascading waterfalls, like Abbey and Iruppu falls, and a diversity of flora and fauna at Nagarhole National Park and Talakaveri Wildlife Sanctuary. It is a perfect place if you’re looking to escape the monotony of daily life and get close to nature.
Khajjiar, Himachal Pradesh
Commonly known as the ‘Mini Switzerland of India’, Khajjiar sits at over 1981 meters (6500 feet) and is synonymous with picturesque beauty. Dense forest, swathes of green meadows and beautiful snow-capped mountain vistas make it an ideal destination for nature lovers. Visitors can partake of adventure activities, like zorbing, trekking, paragliding and horse-riding, and the must-visit sites include the Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary that is home to exotic flora and fauna, Khajji Naga Temple that dates back to the 12th century, and the Khajjiar Lake set at 1920 meters and encircled by hills, grasslands and deodar forests.
Located in the eastern district of Uttarakhand, Pithoragarh boasts of irresistible natural beauty, high altitude grasslands and historic charm. It is the starting point for treks to the holy shrines of Kailash and Mansarovar. And, the panoramic views of the mighty peaks of Nanda Devi, Appi of Nepal and Panchachuli are clearly visible from this place. Some of the tourist spots include the Pithoragarh Fort, Askot Sanctuary that is home to a wide range of flora and fauna, and Kafni Glacier Trek, among many others. And, visitors can also indulge in adventure activities, like hiking, skiing, canoeing, kayaking and fishing. This tiny place is an ideal place for those looking for a nature retreat.
Kaas Plateau, Maharashtra
Another ethereal beauty is the Kaas Plateau, which is a UNESCO World Biodiversity Site. It attracts visitors with more than 850 different and unique species of flowering plants. When these flowering plants are in full bloom in the months of August-September, its beauty is incomparable. Being relatively undiscovered, you can experience this beauty in utmost serenity and breathe in the fresh, unpolluted air.
Spend some “me” time in nature’s lap in Munnar, a hill station famous for its tea and spice plantations. Camping, parasailing, birdwatching, trekking, wildlife spotting, fishing, boating and rock climbing are the popular activities here. Some of the must-visit attractions include Echo Point, and Kundala Lake where you can enjoy boating and shikara rides amidst the natural beauty and views of rolling hills; Devikulum is home to an assortment of temples, Attakud waterfall and Anamudi Peak, among many others. For tea lovers, there’s a Tata Tea Museum where you can learn about the history of tea and its processing.
Head to Regal Rajasthan on an epic cross-country adventure with Culture Trip. Our Local Insider will guide you through bustling cities, rural villages and jaw-dropping palaces on this unforgettable 10-day trip.
Valley of Flowers, Uttarakhand
Nestled in the Nanda Devi Biosphere, the Valley of Flowers is the most attractive place in Uttarakhand. Every inch of this place is blessed with unparalleled natural beauty in the form of endemic alpine flowers and diversity of flora, including medicinal herbs. Besides, it is also home to a variety of endangered species of animals, including the snow leopard, Asiatic black bear, blue sheep and musk deer, to name a few. Also, there are a host of gushing waterfalls and streams in this scenic valley. You need to trek to this beautiful valley, so be aware that July to September is the only time when trekking is allowed here.
Chail, Himachal Pradesh
Sitting amid the Shivalik hills, Chail is a peaceful and secluded hill station that once served as a summer retreat for the Maharaja of Patiala. Surrounded by deodar and pine forests and replete with spectacular views of the mountains, this place is a delight for nature lovers and photographers. A visit to Sadhupul lake, Chail Palace, Kali temple and the Chail Wildlife Sanctuary is a must when in Chail.
Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh
Unscathed by modern civilization, the Ziro in north-eastern India is blessed with abundant natural beauty. Vast expanses of paddy fields, rolling green hills with abundant flora, quaint villages and its virgin beauty attract many nature lovers. Besides, this place is also a treat for adventure seekers, trekkers and wildlife explorers. Some of the must-visit attractions include Talley Valley Wildlife Sanctuary that is home to a variety of exotic flora and fauna, Kile Pakho where you can soak in the natural beauty, and Dolo Mando and Midey are trekkers’ paradise.
Araku, Andhra Pradesh
The vast grasslands, rose gardens of varying hues, coffee fields, fruit-laden orchards, gushing waterfalls, and the diversity of flora and fauna mean Araku Valley is a spot with prolific scenic beauty. The famous attractions here include coffee plantations, Padmapuram botanical garden, a Tribal museum that features tribal lifestyle and handicrafts, and waterfalls, like Sangda falls, Dumbriguda falls and Katiki falls. Also, the natural Borra Caves situated near the valley are a must visit.
Dzukou Valley, Nagaland
Sandwiched between north-eastern states of Manipur and Nagaland, Dzukou Valley is home to lush green forest, mosaic of grasslands, flowers of varying hues, and an abundance of flora and fauna, making it a perfect spot to spend some time in the lap of Mother Nature. The Japfu hills add to the splendour of the place and make it is a perfect spot for trekking. If you’re not up for trekking, take a stroll among the ubiquitous flowers. This is home to a variety of flowers, including the rare and unique Dzükou lily, multi-colored rhododendrons and aconitum. The best time to visit is October to May. To reach the valley, you need to trek either from Zakhama village or Visvema village. Indian visitors need an inner line permit for Nagaland and foreign visitors must register themselves at the local state government office in Kohima or Dimapur, Nagaland.
Our Indian Stunner trip takes you on an invigorating getaway to Kerala.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.