Known for its chilled-out party vibe and tourist beaches, Goa is a popular destination for holidaying in India. With long stretches of coast there are many beach resorts to choose from, but not many retain such natural serenity as Palolem Beach. Visit Palolem for traditional culture, unmissable activities and well deserved relaxation.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Laze On The beach And Swim In The Arabian Sea
With a 1.5 kilometer stretch of white powdery sand lined with tall coconut palms and bamboo beach huts, spend a day absorbing the peaceful surroundings. The beach’s curvature offers a view of the entire picture-perfect environment from both of its ends. The Arabian Sea is a shade of sapphire and offers a refreshing dip too, whether you choose to don your swimwear or bathe, like a local, fully clothed. The tide can generate some powerful waves appropriate for a bit of playful body boarding. Cows happily bask by the waterfront but the stray dogs can be a tad pesky.
Do A Yoga Class
A traditional Indian pastime, there is no better place to align body and mind than in Palolem’s effortless splendour. There are many places around to attend a drop-in yoga class and a number of resorts offer morning and evening classes. Try Arunachala’s Yoga Retreat and immerse in the ashram way of life. Whether a beginner or an experienced yogi, Palolem beach is the perfect environment for generating that positive energy.
Eat Traditional Indian Food
When it comes to culinary delicacies, the vibrant fishing culture of Goa makes for some sensational seafood. Try some freshly caught fish brought in by the boats or taste the exceptional South Indian cuisine on the menus at most restaurants in Palolem. Opt for a Thali to sample a number of curries with juxtaposing yet complementing flavours and a sustaining fill of rice and chappati.
Go Dolphin Spotting
Browse the shoreline and haggle for a well-priced boat trip. An enjoyable sail cruising out to sea, even for those partial to sea sickness, spotting the magnificent dolphins is totally rewarding. Although they’re bashful creatures at heart, they never fail to impress with their streamline bodies and lively characters.
Party At Silent Noise Disco
Set in what appears to be a sandy circus arena with a sparse arrangement of rocks, Silent Noise Disco comes to life after dark. Goa, a rare Indian state where it is legal to consume alcohol, still tries to retain local peace by enforcing a noise ban after 10pm. Silent Noise manages to sidestep this with a technicality; providing headphones so that punters are appropriately equipped to soundlessly disco the night away under a blanket of twinkling stars.
If beach bumming doesn’t set your heart racing then fear not, there are plenty of activities for the brave adrenaline junkie here too. From canyoning to trekking, Goa Jungle Adventure provides the experiences you need to get your pulse raised and your stomach leaping. A short trip away from the main town of Chaudi, this is an unforgettable daytrip to make while staying in Palolem Beach.
Get An Ayurvedic Massage
For the ultimate beach relaxation, treat yourself to an ayurvedic massage. At an extremely reasonable price compared to prices found in Europe, its essential to book in to a high end spa to receive a top quality massage here. What’s more, the Indian experts in the ground will ensure customers receive the real deal, all set to the sounds of Goa’s lapping waves.
Visit Monkey Island
Take a stroll along the coastline to the North end of Palolem beach, when the tide is low it is possible to reach Canacona Island, nicknamed Monkey Island due to the monkeys that live there. It takes a little rock hopping skill but the clambering adds to the intrigue of the island, which is reminiscent of a classical paradise. If a journey over rocks isn’t tempting, boats regularly make small voyages around the island too.
Rent A Bike
Bordering a number of other beaches, layered side-by-side like an idyllic beach trifle, there is plenty of ground to explore other than just Palolem in this southern section of Goa. Rent a bicycle from a number of places in the village and set out whichever way your inner compass is pointing. To the North of Palolem beach is Butterfly Beach and to the South is Patnem, both exuding a utopian allure. Cycling may be a slightly sweaty affair but there’s plenty of sea in which to cool off once you’ve ditched the two wheelers.
Visit Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary
A short distance from Palolem and not just for nature lovers, Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary boasts an array of exotic towering trees and other tropical plants as well as protected wildlife. Although the animals are well concealed sometimes, catching a glimpse of a wild boar remains an exciting possibility. It is possible to climb up a watchtower overlooking a waterhole popular amongst the animals at dawn and dusk, so keep your eyes peeled and imagine some David Attenborough-style commentary to accompany your time in the nature.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.